Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made it my morning and evening routine to open Craigslist and flag every post advertising without a license number and then looking for handyman posts that include electrical work.
I also get the camera posters and the "wires in the wall" TV mounters.
I found out that it can sometimes take two flags to eliminate a post.
I would first flag them and then go back with my VPN and flag them a second time.
Someone else started doing it so now I just have to flag them once.
If I find a first-time poster that states they are licensed and insured, I just assume they made a mistake and I take the time to email them a note stating that they are required to post a license number when advertising for electrical work per Florida Statute 489.
Some will persist and I keep hammering them.
Some email back with some libertarian BS.
Screw em. I pay to be legit per the law, you have to make yourself equal too.
Others will post their license number. I do check them out. I haven't found a license number thief yet.
I have to say that my campaign has been fruitful as the big companies that spend big on advertising only to sell leads and mostly giving up. I only get maybe two or three per day now when there used to be a dozen or more every day.
Search Craigslist "South Florida" and then compare that to a search of your city or region.

I like to think I have killed enough cockroaches to make a small difference for the customers and legit contractors.

·
Estwing magic
25,096 Posts
What you’re looking for is a match between you and a customer. Bottom feeding customers use bottom feeding “contractors”. They deserve each other. They serve a purpose, kind of like parasite and host. Do you really want to make a...erm...”living” off bottom feeders?

·
Registered
31,301 Posts
From Washington DC Area CL

PR Handyman
ELECTRICIAN ... 👨‍🔧⚡

We carry out Home Installations and Repairs

Wiring, placement of lights and sockets, Solution to short circuits and leaks, etc.
Thermal Placement Boards and Circuit Breakers Fans, Doorbells, appliances, etc.
Water tank automation
Transformers,
Grounding (Javelin incantation)

Emergencies 24/7

No Cost Estimate! show contact info

We also do basic plumbing work!
How are you flagging? surprised CL allows this, seems there could be some liability.

Electrician Cheap and Good,(301) 458-0376 Great work Great price
Handyman,gutter,Drywall,Painting,Electrician,Plumbing,Carpenter (handyman,painter, drywall, floor, gutter cleaning, plaster,)[/quote]

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,557 Posts
It takes $$ to notice them and then you find out, they can't do much to them if... they don't have a license to take from them.
He can be prosecuted in circuit court.
You just need to find someone who will get off their ass and do what's right.
Several agencies have jurisdiction.

DBPR
Bldg Dept
Code Enforcement
And don't you guys have a county licensing board over there?

My first day in the bldg dep't I was hired as the (the only one) city bldg inspector and given a gold badge and a citation book. And I used it probably 10-15 times. Never really hunted down unlicensed activity but on complaints I'd take appropriate action.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,557 Posts
Complaints come from the licensed guys who bid the job and lose out to someone who's cheating the system using Home Depot labor. Even had one situation where the city purchasing department hired an unlicensed contractor and had to go do what I had to do. They revoked the contract and took the next bid. Guess who got it - the guy who complained to me. And he should. He was the lowest bid of all qualified bidders. Lowest bid was not qualified.

·
Registered
31,301 Posts
I lost a bid to a local county that required electrical work as part of a generator contract, to a manufactures rep. We filed a grievance to the county, the manufactures stance was they were a manufactures rep they did not need to be licensed. They had no electrical license, no business license in Virginia, and no licensed electricians on staff. Our grievance was denied.

·
Registered
Licensed commercial, residential, and industrial Journeyman
34 Posts
I was thinking of making a Craigslist ad tonight. Google adds and microsoft bing adds for a month have gotten me one call and a dozen views on my website. I know if I post a Craigslist ad with a few pictures my phone will get some calls tomorrow. What's the other option? Home advisor for $50 a lead weather you get the job or not?

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,557 Posts
I lost a bid to a local county that required electrical work as part of a generator contract, to a manufactures rep. We filed a grievance to the county, the manufactures stance was they were a manufactures rep they did not need to be licensed. They had no electrical license, no business license in Virginia, and no licensed electricians on staff. Our grievance was denied.
That would not fly here.
A unit of government in Florida can act as a contractor as long as they use their own employees, but they can't hire unlicensed contractors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts