Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What we thought would be an easy em call today turned into a nightmare!
HO was vacuuming when suddenly recessed cans went dim and fan light in other room went super bright. Then the pull chain for light controlled all lights!? Would not have believed this if I didnt see it!
It seems the feed into the box is fine but all the feeds out to switch legs and outlets (4-5 wires) seem to have a shorts!?? WHAT?
May be more than 1 circuit in here-not sure yet. Oh yeah and the neutral had 34 volts!? Plugs read hot/neutral reverse. Lots of 3 way switched involved. Making your head spin? Mine too - this was all too much for a Sunday night. Turned off 2 circuits we believe are invloved and went home! Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
check the neutral. Keep in mind if you put a ohm meter on the hot and neutral leaving that panel if there is any load it is going to show a pretty low resistance. Like a small transformer might show like 2 ohms, but once energized your circuit impedance goes up.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Shared neutral broke somewhere. When the vac turns on it backfeeds what's left of the neutral downstream of the broken connection. Since this is across both phases at least some of that stuff is seeing over 120v

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
Hot neutral reverse on a tester is usually a bad neutral indication. Follow the circuit the vacuum was on being a heavy load it probably burned the neutral upstream.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Voltage on ground also. Seems like ground, neutral and hots are touching somewhere. Why isnt breaker tripping????

Hopefully we can figure it out when we go back tommorow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's a secret for the HO's out there.
If you call the POCO, and tell them 1/2 your lights are super bright, and the other 1/2 are very dim, they come out IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After tracing wire in the attic today we found a loose neutral in an outside outlet on the other side of the house.

We knew it was a neutral problem , just never taken so long to find it before. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You own your on electrical contracting company??
No, I am Mrs to the owner. Was trying to help him out with this problem. I should have been more clear so you don't think all Florida electricians are dumbasses. Just me ;).

I was looking for help with this issue because I have never seen something like this take him more than an hour or so to find. This took a good 3 hours to figure out.

All done and on to the next job.:thumbsup:

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
No, I am Mrs to the owner. Was trying to help him out with this problem. I should have been more clear so you don't think all Florida electricians are dumbasses. Just me ;).

I was looking for help with this issue because I have never seen something like this take him more than an hour or so to find. This took a good 3 hours to figure out.

All done and on to the next job.:thumbsup:

I M O, there are no objections to you being here.

WELCOME.

I hope we can be of help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts