Electrician Talk banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Well I will back him up, your posts mostly indicate that you can buy things cheaper, sell them for more, do things faster and never, ever make any kind of bussness mistake. In short you are the worlds greatest at all things. :jester:
Ever look in a mirror? :whistling2:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well I will back him up, your posts mostly indicate that you can buy things cheaper, sell them for more, do things faster and never, ever make any kind of bussness mistake. In short you are the worlds greatest at all things. :jester:

To be fair, when you do know some tricks, can work a supplier for a good price, and are wise enough to make mostly right decisions, at first people are awed by you. After awhile resentment and bitterness set in. I've seen it many times. When I first came here Ken was hailed by all as God of Electricians. Now he is villified as a know-it-all SOB.

InPhase277 said:
Just got off the phone with a lady that needs a circuit for a new oven. She asked what a ballpark figure was. I told her there's no telling without knowing what kind of panel, how far, what kind of obstructions, amperage, etc. She pressed more. So I told her between $250-$5600. Said she'd call me back.

No she won't:laughing:

WTF is wrong with people? It's ******** to think someone can price something without seeing it.
Idk about you but I price over the phone after asking all of the questions I need answered. If your sick you go to the doc they ask what how n why it hurt or what's wrong. I do the same I ask my potential customers all of the important questions. Ie ranch colonial bungalow finished or unfinished basement all of the possibilities. In my area a lot of EC's do free estimates including me no trip charges. So it benefits me to quote over the phone, plus I guess I'm one of a few that can visualize what the customer describes to me in terms of layout of the house or job site.

Stock for a range up to 50' #6 aluminum I'm in Ma, plus breaker 2p50a staples flush mount 50a receptacle and connectors, comes out to $60, or $120 using #6 copper with no markup on either, labor at most 3 hrs. With markup @40% =$84 or $168. 3hrs @ $135= 405 add either of your stock prices. Why 3 hrs 1 for drive n stock if not already available, 1 for the actual install, 1/2hr for cleanup the end walk through and 1/2hr for billing.

So I tell my potential customer the approximate cost, with a disclaimer that states the price is based off of the Customers information given, and if when I arrive on site and do my assessment before work begins if it doesn't match the price will be amended on site and they have the choice if they feel the scope or price have changed and don't want to proceed have the option to have me not do the job. I have done this so many times most of my quotes are on point and when they aren't I amend properly with no questions or issues.

I am very transparent with my customers I tell them exactly what I'm doing how I'm doing it and why I'm doing it. This lets them know I have nothing to hide they know my priority is their happiness as my customers and for the ones who appreciate that have no problem paying for my services.

So price is $490-568. You could go cheaper or higher, it's what works for you. That works for me

To be fair, when you do know some tricks, can work a supplier for a good price, and are wise enough to make mostly right decisions, at first people are awed by you. After awhile resentment and bitterness set in. I've seen it many times. When I first came here Ken was hailed by all as God of Electricians. Now he is villified as a know-it-all SOB.
Do you remember the GFCI debacle? He just had to let everyone know that he gets P&S GFCI's for $5.50 each. Now, I don't know about you, but I haven't paid $5.50 for a GFCI in over 10 years. But Ken pays $5.50 all day long, don'tcha know? :rolleyes:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.