Electrician Talk banner

creative field supervision methods ?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Bootss 
#1 ·
I will have limited mobility for a few years in the future now, hopefully things will improve in a couple years. I don't have employees I sub out some of the work to some Electrical friends after I've sold the larger job. my main concern is the initial contact or service calls, estimates how I will cover them., I'm thinking about hiring a salesman or something. any creative ideas on how to handle the initial service call ,estimate?

#2 ·
That's a tough one, Lep. The salesman might work but there is no guarantee he won't leave you after you have trained him. Is there a chance you could find a retired or semi-retired electrician, someone who could help out until you get mobile again?

It's definitely a time for stock taking, determining what your capabilities are and how best to use your talents. It might be a time to step back and look at the bigger picture. Perhaps you were presented with opportunities in the past that you didn't consider at the time but are viable now.

I hope this doesn't sound like a horoscope :( . I do wish you the best in your recovery.

#3 ·
What about selling work for someone else? I bet other ec's would love to have someone out selling the jobs.
Its easy to find guys who can execute, but bringing in the jobs is a whole different beast. Also to go behind doing QC on the work.
Just a thought.
Sorry to hear about this. :(

#4 ·
no I need ideas for people to be in the sales field for me.
I'm thinking about using temps but they have too much hourly requirement, or minimum. I can pay a guy for a couple hours to go out look at a job but not four hours.

#5 ·
I would look for guys that wanted just a straight commission. I did this for a contractor for a while and my take was 6%. The way of calculating that number was something we agreed on but I can't remember the exact formula.
We both did well and I was allowed a Role as project manager as an option on each job. $50 per hour was figured in as a line item. I could do the PM myself or let the shop assign a PM.
I was also paid mileage. Not out of the project but as part of the shop OH.

Some guys did the same thing but worked against a draw. I was used to selling as a contractor to survive so, that didn't appeal to me at all.
I made a nice six figure salary and wasn't the top producer number wise but I think my margins were better. Jobs were total cost/ .7 I could get up to .8 without management approval but low numbers cut into my 6%.

Some guys would spend lots of time on plan and spec work and ignore the high margin emergency and service jobs that I like so, it worked out well.

Best of luck

#8 ·
I'm more interested in the initial sales , inspection call.
the guys are user kind of tards when it comes to that aspect of work, hey come on glued if they don't get paid on a estimate they don't understand that I can make it up to him on the next job. I need to find some smoothies that can sell the job.

#9 ·
Well, I can only see two options. Hire a guy or partner with someone.

Every time I place a help wanted add, I get a lot of C10 holders looking for work. They just don't know how to handle the business end of the job, doesn't mean they can't sell and/or install though.

Try looking for someone like that. If they are good, it may turn into something really beneficial for both.

#10 ·
even if you offer those guys a 50/50 split, they want to get paid 100 percent of the whole job. a lot of guys know how to do the work but they don't know how to sell or generate work. what kind of problems do you run into when you're trying to hire people?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.