Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,243 Posts
My eyes are going. Where is the EGC buss?

·
Registered
Master Electrician, Co-Owner
8 Posts
So I came to a job site to assist on a job that was falling behind, so this is not my work just wanted to see if anyone else has a problem with this panel. Forman on site likes it 🤦‍♂️!
Pipe work looks decent, interior not so good, if that's stranded brach circuits I'll cut a little slack. None the less,not to appealing to the eye in my opinion

·
Registered
8 Posts
My only pet peeve is it starts out as circuits blk,red,blue on breakers on right, nice.
Then all hit the fan with land it where ever. On a new build make it clean the first time for at least a day.

Cowboy
That's what I thought black red blue is the way I mark for 120/208.....black red orange 120/240.....

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,243 Posts
Color coding is different all over the country. Federal spec i believe is Black, Red, Blue and Yellow, Brown, Orange.

·
Registered
Electrician
134 Posts
So is everyone ok with the exposed copper on the main breaker?
Doesn't it come from the factory like that? The wires that are landed on the breaker looked like they were stripped pretty good. Small stranded wires are a mofo to get straight but even with that said there are some that could of had more effort put into them.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
So I came to a job site to assist on a job that was falling behind, so this is not my work just wanted to see if anyone else has a problem with this panel. Forman on site likes it 🤦‍♂️!
Were you set there to help or critique the job?
Are there any code violations?
Does your company have a standard of quality or is this the norm?
Does it work when the power is turned on?
Will your customer complain?

I believe in quality work but many places do not and when the covers are on will anyone know the work lacks a certain level of workmanship?

·
Registered
75 Posts
How do you mark 480/277 yellow orange brown lmao
I mark 480/277, 4 wire, 3 phase, brown, purple, yellow, grey.
I believe it was a Houston city code at one time.
Purple replaced orange because at the time the code stated orange was to indicate the high leg.
Black, red, blue, white was 120/208 wye, 4 wire.
Black, orange, blue, white was 120/240 delta, 4 wire.
Orange was designated for the highleg of a 120/240 3 phase delta.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It's hard to tell if it's white phase tape or wire markers. The photos are a bit blurry. I see them on the neutrals as well.
Lots of tandem breakers for a brand new install.
Makeup is not the best.
Raintight panel with most of the conduits above the buss.
Almost looks like ground bushing without any bond wire.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,815 Posts
This may be the only violation I see but I am not sure if what is there is a violation

200.4(B) Multiple Circuits. Where more than one neutral conductor
associated with different circuits is in an enclosure, grounded
circuit conductors of each circuit shall be identified or
grouped to correspond with the ungrounded circuit conductor(
s) by wire markers, cable ties, or similar means in at least
one location within the enclosure.

Exception No. 1: The requirement for grouping or identifying shall not
apply if the branch-circuit or feeder conductors enter from a cable or a
raceway unique to the circuit that makes the grouping obvious.
Exception No. 2: The requirement for grouping or identifying shall not
apply where branch-circuit conductors pass through a box or conduit
body without a loop as described in 314.16(B)(1) or without a splice or
termination.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
First rule of ET: never post photos of your panel work
2nd rule of ET: never post photos of your panel work

the zip ties are a no-no. Conductors that tight can develop more heat. I’ll use zip ties while forming the conductors but remove them before I’m done. If I did my work well, the conductors will stay in place. Even stranded.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,855 Posts
That's what I thought black red blue is the way I mark for 120/208.....black red orange 120/240.....
120/240 Black, Orange, Blue is the what I have seen. High leg should be on L2 and marked orange, one of the few marking codes. It used to be High leg RED on L2
Color coding is different all over the country. Federal spec i believe is Black, Red, Blue and Yellow, Brown, Orange.
Color coding for 480 Volt at most places I have been has always been BOY Brown , Orange , Yellow

Cowboy

Reactions: Easy

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,855 Posts

the zip ties are a no-no. Conductors that tight can develop more heat. I’ll use zip ties while forming the conductors but remove them before I’m done. If I did my work well, the conductors will stay in place. Even stranded.
I just showed a new guy why you don't zip tie wires in Panduit. A contractor zipped about 40 wires to get them into Panduit, This put all the weight of that bundle on the shortest wire connected to the terminal strip.
Cowboy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just showed a new guy why you don't zip tie wires in Panduit. A contractor zipped about 40 wires to get them into Panduit, This put all the weight of that bundle on the shortest wire connected to the terminal strip.
Cowboy
Hmmm never thought about using zip ties

Hmmm that's a damn good idea use them as wire form holders and make everything look nice, take em off and bam pure excellence

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks guys I’ll keep my mouth shut and ears open, glad there’s place whith professionals I can bounce my own electrical thoughts 💭 off of before I make a fool of my self at the job site!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Stealing that idea

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,210 Posts
Cowboy
Nothing wrong with zip-ties in panduit. That's why they make things like this:

T&B part # UMC

They snap into the raised part of the newer T&B wire duct.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,855 Posts
Nothing wrong with zip-ties in panduit. That's why they make things like this:

View attachment 155331

T&B part # UMC

They snap into the raised part of the newer T&B wire duct.
That is cool, it supports the wire I'll look into them. I have used a tie wrap sticky back base with the screw hole and put them where I attached the panduit to the panel. It made it nice while rewiring a machine, and both take the wieght off the wire. It's when they don't support the tie wrap that is the issue.

Cowboy

21 - 40 of 42 Posts