Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm new in Canada and want to build 2 sub-panels with DIN rail parts for my apartments. But I can hardly find all needed components. First, circuit breaker with CSA are available for DIN rail e.g. from Schneider, Siemens or ABB. But they are very expensive, about 3-4 times the price in Europe. Unfortunately, the European versions almost miss the CSA logo. I also need remote dimmer, relais, PLCs and some other home control parts. They all haven't a CSA sign...

How can I use those parts without getting in trouble with the electrician code? Can somebody explain me, what is allowed and what is mandatory?

Thank you so much,

Volker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your fast reply. I want to control lights, blinds, heating and cooling. A brick PLC from Koyo, bought in Canada, comes without an CSA sign. Honestly: I have never seen a PLC with a CSA logo, but there are millions in use in Canada ;-) I also will control LED lighting with remoted dimmers, they are installed in the panel and controlled with a 0-10V voltage what comes from the PLC. Everything is absolut standard for home automation, but nothing comes in DIN form factor with CSA. Components with CSA are built "by guess and by gosh", in unusual shaped plastic or metal boxes, but not with a consistent form factor. I could take Crestron stuff, for 10 times the money what I spend when I build my own, custom system. Than I had the choice between "bricks" and DIN and also for 19" rack mount. But I don't want to spend 15k if I can have the same result for 1.5k but with standard components.

Honestly my question: what are all the home automation installers doing in Canada? They can't use DIN stuff because missing of the CSA sign but they also can't use "brick" parts, because nobody want's to have a 10 sqft plywood board somewhere on the wall with flying wires...

I guess, I have to look into several installations here to figure out, what I can do. That's so bad. All the electrician stuff here in Canada is 30 years behind the time but the excessive overprotective government impeded the european stuff :censored:

·
Electrical Contractor
5,633 Posts
If you want to build a control panel, you must use CSA ( or equivalent ) approved materials.
Then you have to get the Dept of Labor to approve the unit before you can install it. Check with the dept in your area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe you can get components with ulc ("UL" with a small "c" beside it), or "ETL" or even "RU" will work as only components. Once the panel is put together, we use intertek to approve them. It works quite well and satisfies our electrical inspector.

·
Light Bender
plumber
7,031 Posts
You can not take a bunch of CSA stuff and MacGyver something out of it. The CSA no longer applies.

In Ontario you can have ESA look it over, test it and they will apply a CSA sticker or tell you what is required for CSA. They call it "special inspection"

$$$$$

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Go to Frunks link. It's OK. Equipment certified for use in Canada must be CSA approved or have a lower case 'c' at the 8 0'clock position on others marks.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell we are thirty years behind. We just don't allow crap euro wiring devices here unless they are approved by us. We own the place we set the rules. Same as anywhere else.

You don't like the rules and break em you go to jail. We don't need any hack electrical crap done here.

So go to europe. Else build it and have CSA approve it. Make Canada a better place eh?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
eddy current said:
You can not take a bunch of CSA stuff and MacGyver something out of it. The CSA no longer applies. In Ontario you can have ESA look it over, test it and they will apply a CSA sticker or tell you what is required for CSA. They call it "special inspection" $$$$$
You are absolutely right!! I had a customer who rents portable toilets to sites and decided it would be cheaper to build his own. I wired put all proper equipment in it . Had ESA look at it. Once they found out what he was doing I had to get special inspection done. Almost a grand for the first one and 500 got every one ofter that. Pain in the as*!!
And there was nothing to it, a small panel, 3 lights and a 500watt heater

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.