Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just found this site in on of my searches..im also looking to get into the trade a 1st yr apprentice..anyone out there that could give me some advice?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Watch!
Listen!
Read!
Ask questions!
DO NOT get offended when asked to do menial tasks.

Oh, and welcome to the site. This place is a great resource. Stick around and you'll learn lots. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find you a electrical contractor with a good reputation and start applying for a job. Then if possible find a night time tech school and in role. Then work your time out.Not for sure what the laws are in your area but here it is a 4 year apprenticeship. But our state gives guys going to school at the same time a break on there time.I would suggest checking the electrical license laws in your area by going to your states dept. of labor web site. Good Luck!! I believe this is the greatest trade ever!!!:cool2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i want to get in with a good electrical contractor with a good rep..and also i want job sercurity..cant afford to be going from contractor to contractor

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Watch!
Listen!
Read!
Ask questions!
DO NOT get offended when asked to do menial tasks.

Oh, and welcome to the site. This place is a great resource. Stick around and you'll learn lots. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the trade! :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum!:thumbup:

That's good advice Speedy gave.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,452 Posts
Now I am not encouraging you to lie but: When I was grub, I always overstated my abilities. When any perspective employer would ask me for an example "can you bend pipe" I would say yes, even though I never had done it before.
Well, he left me in an apartment building with a bender and a master bundle of 1/2" EMT. As you can imagine there was good bit of scrap on the ground outside. However, another electrican noticed my difficulty and helped me out.
When the super came by that afternoon, he said I was slow. I told him I was not feeling well that day. But each day I got better and faster. I got so good at it that I was doing two days work in one.
What I am saying is that you need to sell yourself to your future employer. And "YES" you do know a little about everthing....LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.