Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
It will never be as good as it used to be..

At one time being an electrician was a "specialty item"..

Now with TV shows and DIY books we are just over paid maintenance men to many.. who don't see a difference.. :(

Have a question.. just ask the HD guy for "how to" instructions..
I guess when TurboTax came out all the accountants went bankrupt too right?:laughing:

Or the liquid plumber to pour down the drain put all the plumbers out of business right?

Band Aids and neosporin put all the Drs out on the street.

The car washes put all the detailers out of business.

Geek Squad put all the other computer repair shops out of business.

I can go on all day............

The DIYers are tackling simple projects like changing outlets and switches or light fixtures that is not gonna effect me.

Get the word out

I think that one big problem with out trade (at least in my area) is that the school systems drum into every kids head that to be successful you need to go to college, no one wants to get into skilled trades any more. And what's worse is that there are some that go to college without a clue and either flunk out or party away all of mommy and daddy's money. People need to realize that there are other options college may not be for everyone or at least not directly after high school.

Sparky J said:
I think that one big problem with out trade (at least in my area) is that the school systems drum into every kids head that to be successful you need to go to college, no one wants to get into skilled trades any more. And what's worse is that there are some that go to college without a clue and either flunk out or party away all of mommy and daddy's money. People need to realize that there are other options college may not be for everyone or at least not directly after high school.
Exactly, im 19. Started the week after i graduated H.S. College isnt for me.... Id rather work and learn, besides college is too expensive and id be paying myself

I guess when TurboTax came out all the accountants went bankrupt too right?:laughing:

Or the liquid plumber to pour down the drain put all the plumbers out of business right?

Band Aids and neosporin put all the Drs out on the street.

The car washes put all the detailers out of business.

Geek Squad put all the other computer repair shops out of business.

I can go on all day............

The DIYers are tackling simple projects like changing outlets and switches or light fixtures that is not gonna effect me.
Good luck painting a happy face on a dismal looking scene.. :(

The state of the trade is like this- Before, and I mean like in the 70's and the eighty's, it was all on fire. The trade was wide open and full of new things. During the 90's then the aches just barely started showing up a bit in the trades- most notably in the right hip just some days a bit and also the knees once in a great while. Thats what the trade was like in the 90's. Along came the first decade of the new century, and the trades eyesight started getting a bit blurry for the first time. The trade discovered Ibuprofen during that decade. Now the trade is in the second decade of the new century. The trades right hip is about shot . The trade limps many days now. The trade is ready to hang it up..........:laughing: An odd parrellel but it is what it is......... I really wish the trade could reverse things and get on its feet again.

Reactions: nitro71
the state of the trade suffers the very same dulopoly every other labor -manufacturing relationship has in America

the captains of our industry operate with self enlightened interest , and the regulating and enforcing agencies bow down to it all

they make codes for new widgets that we are held to, yet don't insist the old are off the HD selves, and they'll stay there for a number of code cycles

they make codes for people who will never read them

enforcement will come down hard on a license, yet the same infraction results in the punishment justifing the DIY'er crime

the orginizations you see posting full page 'counterfiet' ads in the trade mags (with EC's behind bars) are raft with electrical industrialists manufacturing them in sh*tholistan

the CPSC, NEC, IAEI et all trade related orginizations have literally rolled over on what should have been class action suits against electrical crap on the market , that you and i get to eat in the field (i know a # of stifled insiders)

the trade mags we read have zero electrical consumer reviews , because nothing untword is ever spoke of the owners

these sorts have become the pinkertons, they want cheap crap, and cheap labor to install it all, there is no place in this guilded age redux for a prima donna trade in their doctrine

~CS~

You may have very valuable things to say but for me I skip right over your posts because of the color and font. JMO

the state of the trade suffers the very same dulopoly every other labor -manufacturing relationship has in America

the captains of our industry operate with self enlightened interest , and the regulating and enforcing agencies bow down to it all

they make codes for new widgets that we are held to, yet don't insist the old are off the HD selves, and they'll stay there for a number of code cycles

they make codes for people who will never read them

enforcement will come down hard on a license, yet the same infraction results in the punishment justifing the DIY'er crime

the orginizations you see posting full page 'counterfiet' ads in the trade mags (with EC's behind bars) are raft with electrical industrialists manufacturing them in sh*tholistan

the CPSC, NEC, IAEI et all trade related orginizations have literally rolled over on what should have been class action suits against electrical crap on the market , that you and i get to eat in the field (i know a # of stifled insiders)

the trade mags we read have zero electrical consumer reviews , because nothing untword is ever spoke of the owners

these sorts have become the pinkertons, they want cheap crap, and cheap labor to install it all, there is no place in this guilded age redux for a prima donna trade in their doctrine

~CS~

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.