Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Not readily accessible?
That's a matter of perspective "quickly" is entirely subjective

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
So far I've come up with a short list of things that don't require AFCI and/or GFCI protection:

Furnaces or boilers, air handlers, attic ventilation fan(s), unfinished basement lights, garage lights, outdoor lights, 240 volt loads, and burglar alarm panels. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Mi is finally adopted 2011. Not sure what takes so long, but if anyone wants to sell me their2014 in three years, keep me in mind. Probably
Ly why nobody is reciprocal with mi. Also why no one else wants to come here is cause we have so much snow. Negative 25 degrees today. Sucks. Cabin fever setting in.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far I've come up with a short list of things that don't require AFCI and/or GFCI protection:

Furnaces or boilers, air handlers, attic ventilation fan(s), unfinished basement lights, garage lights, outdoor lights, 240 volt loads, and burglar alarm panels. Did I miss anything?

If you think about it, on most cases that short list is actually too long.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I thought I was being smart. Instead of a GFCI breaker for a whirlpool tub I was going to use a blank face GFCI at the tub location. Aesthetically no good place in the bathroom so I put it in a bedroom closet by the tub access panel. So now......
I don't care anymore, I install a deadfront at 5' right over the switches, if im in a good mood, I'll place it behind the door.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If you think about it, on most cases that short list is actually too long.
:blink::001_huh:
Furnace or boiler with emergency switch outside basement, AFCI required. Attic fan with control switch outside the attic, AFCI required. Unfinished basement with switch outside the door, AFCI required. Garage lights with switch inside the house, AFCI required. Outdoor lights with switch inside the house, AFCI required.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Furnace or boiler with emergency switch outside basement, AFCI required. Attic fan with control switch outside the attic, AFCI required. Unfinished basement with switch outside the door, AFCI required. Garage lights with switch inside the house, AFCI required. Outdoor lights with switch inside the house, AFCI required.
Ahhh right, I didn't think about that. :wallbash:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
NC has decided to hold on the 2014 because of the reasons mentioned above- it is not set in stone yet but I suspect we will be on the 2011 for another 5 or 6 years.

Interestingly enough they (NC) are talking about using the 2014 for non dwelling--- so now you need both books.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
Would the dead front gfci be considered an outlet?
No, look at the definition of outlet--IMo it is nothing more than a switch and a switch is not an outlet

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
For the purposes of this discussion, was the OP referencing AFCI protection or the readily accessible requirement?

I was assuming the AFCI protection, and if so, I believe the 2014 uses the word "device", so no matter what you consider a dead front, it is definitely a device.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.