Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys who own the biz deal with non paying customers? I've been in biz for 15 months and this is the first time it has come up. It's only $600 so it's not killing me by any means but it's going on 8 weeks now with multiple letters, emails, phone calls. He was crying poor in the beginning. Now he just won't answer. I'm thinking bout stealing his patio furniture. :)

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Make sure your invoice includes interest after 30 days Kg, enter a sm claim, get a judgement. If no appeal after 30 days, they will be required to make some reparations, if not then fill out a writ of execution and mention the patio furniture.

~CS~

·
332 Posts
Attempt to be the good guy, set up a monthly payment plan of $100 per month. Try to get a little interest out of them. I've been tossing around the idea of financing jobs for people, especially jobs like service change outs, and fuse box replacement. Most of the time these types of jobs are not planned on by the homeowner, and they usually go somewhere to borrow money. Why don't I just finance it for them and make a little more off the job. Just a thought.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
That is the diff T&K

I've negotiated payments with sorts confronted with unexpected $0000's

But i've also had many agree on a price, sign and shake on it, then look me in the eye when i hand them an invoice and say 4Q

many of these folks are career offenders , they know how to work the system

We, as contractors, need to know how to work that system against them as well

~CS~

·
Premium Member
20,108 Posts
How do you guys who own the biz deal with non paying customers? I've been in biz for 15 months and this is the first time it has come up. It's only $600 so it's not killing me by any means but it's going on 8 weeks now with multiple letters, emails, phone calls. He was crying poor in the beginning. Now he just won't answer. I'm thinking bout stealing his patio furniture. :)
I tought yous guys in Philly had a special way of dealing wid deese kind a clowns.

·
332 Posts
chicken steve said:
We, as contractors, need to know how to work that system against them as well

~CS~
Very true. My comment wasn't meant to take anything away from yours, or attempt to make myself look better, it was just another approach that could be taken. I totally agree with getting tough, but I, and I'm sure you, only want to do that after the friendly approach method gets blown off.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ive had a gc owe me about $10g for the last year. Had a national debt collector/attorney call me out of the blue saying this builder owed a few other subs one of them a national rental chain that uses them to collect. He asked if i wanted in on it so i sent him my invoices. First the builder said it was paid in full but didnt have proof, then he said none of the work i did worked, now they say all ive done is shotty work and they had to hire a company to come fix it all and thats why i havent been paid.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
FWIW, one thing i learned @ ET is posting bounced checks @ the bank

I did not think a photocopy of a bad check could still be a functional piece of paperwork until i read it here

:thumbsup:

~CS~

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Attempt to be the good guy, set up a monthly payment plan of $100 per month. Try to get a little interest out of them. I've been tossing around the idea of financing jobs for people, especially jobs like service change outs, and fuse box replacement. Most of the time these types of jobs are not planned on by the homeowner, and they usually go somewhere to borrow money. Why don't I just finance it for them and make a little more off the job. Just a thought.

I have started using paypal on exactly this . Service up grades is one here that insurance companies push on people that can't really afford it.
Use their credit card to pay you monthly . 12 equal payments with a little extra added in for the hassel and done deal.
Just started doing this about 2 yrs ago , so far only had one I had to pursue to get all of my cash.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Very true. My comment wasn't meant to take anything away from yours, or attempt to make myself look better, it was just another approach that could be taken. I totally agree with getting tough, but I, and I'm sure you, only want to do that after the friendly approach method gets blown off.
I always try honey first T&K, any reasonable biz man does. In fact i'm also (after a while) willing to negotiate a bit on $$$, knowing what the courts and collection agencies take

(fwiw, those career deadbeats know this as well)

That said, i'm your best friend or worst enemy

I've no time in this short existence to have anyone or anything jack me around inbetween

For ex, i've been served :censored: restraining orders for simply showing up at a residence with an invoice in the past.

There's a point where we need to think 'no more Nice Guy', because the old adage about them is right

~CS~

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Buy a 200 clunker van, spray paint his name and deadbeat on it , leave it parked in front of his house till he pays

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Be happy it's only $600 I had a GC take me for $4,000 in February:censored::censored::censored:

·
Estwing magic
27,556 Posts
I have only been screwed over for $1300.00 and that guy finally won the waiting game. I gave up on him. He changed careers from general contracting to selling used cars. No point in chasing a loser.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.