Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool do you use to cut ACSR?

I've been using older lineman pliers, but it's been killing the blades (that's why I don't want to use new pairs).

Will the mini bolt cutters that Knipex make cut ACSR well or will it ruin those cutters as well?

What do you use?

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Some of the new journeyman 2000 lineman pliers are up to the task but we know how much fun that is. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
49 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
I'd rather something a little bit easier to use while up in the air on a ladder than a grinder or bandsaw. Those look nice, but I would be worried about using such an expensive pair of retching cutters. I know they say for ACSR, but still
well keep using your beater kleins

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Ii have a large pair of cheap bolt cutters thaat we use. Truthfully I try to stay away from overhead as much as possible anymore.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Makita cordless grinder and a cutting wheel.
I used this method for the first time the other day. Cordless Milwaukee grinder with cut-off blade!:thumbsup: I had a customer that wanted to cut some ACSR that we had just cut down. He grabs my Klein cable cutters and proceeds to put a notch in them.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the Knipex mini bolt cutters for this all the time. I'm pretty sure thats what i bought them for.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ii have a large pair of cheap bolt cutters thaat we use. Truthfully I try to stay away from overhead as much as possible anymore.
Unfortunately, that's not an option around here.

I use the Knipex mini bolt cutters for this all the time. I'm pretty sure thats what i bought them for.
Great, I'll order a pair :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,769 Posts
Most POCO's I have seen use bolt cutters.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I've always used bolt cutters. I keep a set in the van. Never know when you might need bolt cutters, handcuffs, duct tape, etc.

:laughing:

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
I had an apprentice destroy a nice pair of cable cutters I had on ACSR. By the time I realized what he was cutting and what he was cutting it with it was too late.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Those look nice, but I would be worried about using such an expensive pair of retching cutters. I know they say for ACSR, but still
Well what then may I ask are you in hopes of finding if a tool made specifically for the job dont fit the bill?

I knew a girl once who could probably bite that crap in two........:whistling2:

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well what then may I ask are you in hopes of finding if a tool made specifically for the job dont fit the bill?

I knew a girl once who could probably bite that crap in two........:whistling2:
If you read the thread you'd see that the mini bolt cutters will work well for $39 :thumbup:

I'm not going to spend $550 on ratcheting cable cutters speced for ACSR.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.