Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not big on making life easier for next guy or going above and beyond so if the customer decides he wants a tire shop[ in his living room, the circuits will hold. I'm interested in any tips on using less wire, running less circuits if anyone has any.
Today I found feeding kitchen appliances with 14/3 and then taking a 14/2 up one floor for a jacuzzi and towel warmers were a win win in material and time.

My next thought is I have a Hot tub and a shower steam unit within 20' of each other on the 2 nd floor level, I'm wondering about a 1" ENT run to a 4 ckt box outside w/ GFCI for tub and 50 amp inside to steamer.

Reactions: stlchuck

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Make multiple runs of gen use resi recept circuits back to the panel, put 'em all on ONE afci

~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I will re-open this to get more specifics on what is going on.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I know it's unorthodox but it is compliant using 3 wire feeds to dedicated appliances in the kitchen and then feeding on to other dedicated loads such as the appliances in the bathroom above as long as GFCI protection is used where needed and a double pole/breaker tie is used.
I'm just working at sharpening builder style skills using less to get more.

Reactions: 360max

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It's my opinion that the biggest 'code cut throats' are those that have collectively lobbied the nec

manufactured homes come to mind, the methods used there often scream cut throat compliance to me

jmho

~CS~

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Thank you, I know it's unorthodox but it is compliant using 3 wire feeds to dedicated appliances in the kitchen and then feeding on to other dedicated loads such as the appliances in the bathroom above as long as GFCI protection is used where needed and a double pole/breaker tie is used.
And my question goes unanswered.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Maybe Doc....fixed appliances @50%....~CS~

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
The 14/2 to the jacuzzi and towel warmer is not compliant

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I found feeding kitchen appliances with 14/3 and then taking a 14/2 up one floor for a jacuzzi and towel warmers were a win win in material and time.

/QUOTE]

What was the combined amps for these 2 appliances?
No, one being a 14/2 from built in coffee maker 3 wire feed, the other, a 14/2 from DW outlet 3 wire feed. They were right on top of each other. Jacuzzi was right over DW, Towel warmer was right over Coffee maker.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Perhaps that could be parsed out to meet code Doc

in fairness, maybe the most cutthroat of us CAN work the nec down to miniscule razor thin passability....

~CS~

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
No, one being a 14/2 from built in coffee maker 3 wire feed, the other, a 14/2 from DW outlet 3 wire feed. They were right on top of each other. Jacuzzi was right over DW, Towel warmer was right over Coffee maker.
That still did not answer the question.

What is the combined amps of the 2 appliances?

Another question. What do the MFG specs require?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Make multiple runs of gen use resi recept circuits back to the panel, put 'em all on ONE afci

~CS~
I did close to that, I continued the DR ckt on to the great room as one receptacle AFCI circuit. I ran the parlor with the den on a separate smaller 15 amp AFCI maxing outlet numbers on both.

I ran a 12/2 to cover range ignition, hood, refrigerator and outside deck GFCI.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not leave some cushion on the circuits? And price the job accordingly?
Who benefits from circuits being overloaded?
I work with a alloted budget , most loads are TVs, stereo equipment, etc. I tend to run larger stuff on dedicated circuits. GP can get max # of devices. We got all LED trims, I was able to put five rooms of hihats on one circuit.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
I work with a alloted budget , most loads are TVs, stereo equipment, etc. I tend to run larger stuff on dedicated circuits. GP can get max # of devices. We got all LED trims, I was able to put five rooms of hihats on one circuit.
thats nice. so when one room goes dark, half the house goes dark?:no:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats nice. so when one room goes dark, half the house goes dark?:no:
Master bedroom got it's own, 2nd floor hall got fed from 1st floor foyer. All lights in all 3 bathrooms are on a non AFCI 15. They'll still have some light. Lights in 5 rooms are all fixed and tied to smokes, really no chance of a trip unless a short.
I've been doing stuff like this for many years, the only one who mentioned a tripping situation is a freind who had been using a space heater.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts