Electrician Talk banner

Cutler-Hammer drive problems

1128 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Cow
I got a Eaton cutler-hammer SVX9000 DF drive, and we use a 4-20 mA signal to control the drive, but the drive is not reading the signal it only send 60 Hz to the motor, and the 4-20 mA signal work it's just the drive does'nt follow it. Also all the parameters of the drive are good they were double checked by 3 people.

Thank you
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,451 Posts
It's been a while since I've dealt with an SVX9000, but somewhere in the parameter menu/manual it will have a parameter that shows the 4-20mA value on whatever analog input you're using. Take a look and see what it's reading.

I would verify your speed reference is set to the analog input you're using.

Dip switches, if it has them, are set to 4-20mA, not 0-10v.

Verify your speed reference isn't inverting the analog input, unless that's what you want.

Verify your minimum speed isn't set to 60hz.

Make sure your drive is using the correct source, are you in hand, auto, local, remote, etc like you should be?

That's all I got just thinking off the top of my head...

· Registered
5,749 Posts
manual said:
Select V or mA with jumper block X2
On your option card, you must physically move a jumper to tell the board (drive) that the Analog Input is V (10VDC) or I (0-20mA). The factory setting is for the 0-20mA, but someone may have changed it to V. So if that jumper is wrong and the AI is looking only at the voltage, the AI is doing exactly what it thinks it should be doing.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On your option card, you must physically move a jumper to tell the board (drive) that the Analog Input is V (10VDC) or I (0-20mA). The factory setting is for the 0-20mA, but someone may have changed it to V. So if that jumper is wrong and the AI is looking only at the voltage, the AI is doing exactly what it thinks it should be doing.
Yes that is true but it is already in place

· Registered
3,630 Posts
What is your 4-20 mA input doing? Is it at 20 mA, or a lesser value?

Do you have a loop isolator on you AI? Some VFD's require them.

Are you using AI1 or AI2? AI1 looks like it is set-up for voltage, and AI2 is current.
What are your parameters:
P1.15 (Remote Reference)
P1.17 (Current offset)
P1.2.3 (Current offset)
P1.2.4 (Minimum speed)
P1.2.5 (Maximum speed)
P1.7.1 (Analog Fault)

Just grasping at straws to help ya out..

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is your 4-20 mA input doing? Is it at 20 mA, or a lesser value?

Do you have a loop isolator on you AI? Some VFD's require them.

Are you using AI1 or AI2? AI1 looks like it is set-up for voltage, and AI2 is current.
What are your parameters:
P1.15 (Remote Reference)
P1.17 (Current offset)
P1.2.3 (Current offset)
P1.2.4 (Minimum speed)
P1.2.5 (Maximum speed)
P1.7.1 (Analog Fault)

Just grasping at straws to help ya out..
Yes the 4-20 mA is working and it is set on AI2 for current and all of the parameter you just wrote are good checked and recked them multiple times.

Thank you anyway

· Registered
5,749 Posts
When you have eliminated the possible, only the impossible remains...
(apologies to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...)

One possible that is still there is that your drive is defective.

· Registered
3,451 Posts
You know, every once in a while you'll get a drive, that the manufacturers quality control group pulled off the assembly line and bench tested. Every once in a while, they forget to set the VFD to factory default when they are done tweaking parameters for testing.

We've had it happen to us, when a drive wouldn't operate correctly.

Did you reset the drive to factory defaults before dumping your parameters in?

Also, do you have another drive with similar parameter settings that you could do a him copycat on and then download the parameters into this drive?

Don't be afraid to contact the vendor you purchased the drive from, if you just can't get it worked out. That's what they're here for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.