Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use this for cutting the tiles? If so, how did it work, and how to you hold the tile while cutting?
Do you need to put a board under it so you don't blow the hole out?
Is it better to cut from the back side of the tile?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
dust catcher and guide ?
i dont know it would take up a lot of space
i use a utility knife or the knife edge blade in my cordless recip
cuts clean and fast

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
No, I've never used that, I think it's a bit extreme.

I remove the tile, put it on a bucket or trash can, mark the circle with a compass, then cut it out with a keyhole saw.

If available I will use a holesaw over the trash can or bucket.

You don't even need a drill. I worked for a company once doing fire alarm and they had a bunch of 4 1/4" holesaws with a piece of steel welded to the arbor to make a T-handle. A couple of twists and it cut thru nice and clean.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
I agree the keyhole saw is easy. I have the tool shown and it may work fine if you have lots of tiles to cut. I would start on the good side because the back side may tear a bit.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
I don't use that gigantic whore to cut holes in ceiling tiles, but it is ............

Time for your mactip of the day!

Works great for 6" recess cans- the hole you need to cut- is the same size as a spool of #14 or #12 thhn so you can make a center point mark, hold an empty spool over the mark, site it thru the center hole in the spool to line it up, and trace the outline of the spool so the cut out is sized properly for the 6" opening.
No need to carry a circle tool around.

Reactions: seanmayorga

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I've often used a piece of ceiling wire bent to 1/2 the diameter of the hole as a compass and then keyhole saw.

Pete

Reactions: DMILL

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I just remove tiles, place on top of garbage can ,trace, and cut with sheetrock saw... I wouldn't use that since there is no weight on the tile and you don't know if there are wires above the might get damaged but maybe holding down the tile with one hand and drilling might work...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I use the solid carbide grip holesaw for ceiling tile with the dust bowl (rack a teirs).

Remove tile, put on trash can, drill, done. No mess, no dust. And a perfect hole. You can also elect to not use the dust bowl and just go with the carbide grit blade at a low speed. It's a little more dust, but really not that much. And it's even less pressure.

The kit that you posted requires too much pressure for ceiling tile. I have the lightolier versions of them, great kit, just not for ceiling tile.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Carbide grit hole saw over a trash can, especially if you've got a lot to do.

I cut 178 cans in a restaurant dining room in about 2 hours. Just took a stack of wrapped tile, cut the top plastic off, measured and marked the center, and started drilling.

Drill through the top tile, and into the next. Pull the first tile off, and the next one is automatically marked. Continue until you almost reach the end of the pile, then put a fresh pack of tile at the bottom.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I use the solid carbide grip holesaw for ceiling tile with the dust bowl (rack a teirs).

Remove tile, put on trash can, drill, done. No mess, no dust. And a perfect hole. You can also elect to not use the dust bowl and just go with the carbide grit blade at a low speed. It's a little more dust, but really not that much. And it's even less pressure.

The kit that you posted requires too much pressure for ceiling tile. I have the lightolier versions of them, great kit, just not for ceiling tile.
I use that as well. Works great. If doing a lot of tile I'll use the hole saw over can like you suggested. If just a couple I just leave them in ceiling and use keyhole saw.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.