Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had the nasty experience of trying to cut open 50 year old split bolts in a commercial gutter? I am trying to tie in a new service. If so have you found a way to make it simpler and faster?

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
99Kilowatt said:
Has anyone ever had the nasty experience of trying to cut open 50 year old split bolts in a commercial gutter? I am trying to tie in a new service. If so have you found a way to make it simpler and faster?

Waste of time. Shut down, cut it out and replace with a Polaris connector start back up. Done in a snap.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Being Thanksgiving there were no supply houses open. I finally got it down. I used a heat gun an oscillating saw, utility knife and channel locks to remove the insulation.
The oscillating saw made quick work of that rock hard insulation. I got the new panel in and energized and still made it home to help my wife cook dinner.
I appreciate Electricians Talk for the support of my brotherhood.
But in the end the buck stops with me.

Thanks Folks!

Attachments

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
By the way, split bolts are generally only listed for two conductors.
Every commercial multi-meter service I have taken apart used split bolt connectors...

What other choices did they have 30+ years ago....

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
Being Thanksgiving there were no supply houses open. I finally got it down. I used a heat gun an oscillating saw, utility knife and channel locks to remove the insulation.
The oscillating saw made quick work of that rock hard insulation. I got the new panel in and energized and still made it home to help my wife cook dinner.
I appreciate Electricians Talk for the support of my brotherhood.
But in the end the buck stops with me.

Thanks Folks!
So you attempted this job with out the right material or even a spare split bolt?????

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Don't you torque those lugs?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Every commercial multi-meter service I have taken apart used split bolt connectors...

What other choices did they have 30+ years ago....
I am not sure of your point here, what you say is true but the OP is talking about work being done now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts