Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a trench about 18” wide has been made in a concrete floor, what happens if you cut out rebar across that span? Is there a chance that the floor could sink?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If a trench about 18” wide has been made in a concrete floor, what happens if you cut out rebar across that span? Is there a chance that the floor could sink?
Anything is possible. How long is the trench and how many rebars would be cut?

After installing my conduits or whatever, I would tie wire new pieces of rebar to the existing ones. You have then essentially put it back the way you found it.

·
Watt Pusher
2,506 Posts
Whenever I've seen trenches cut in concrete floors, the GC always drills holes in the sides of the trench and epoxies rebar pieces into them, then lays rebar longways down the trench and ties it all together before pouring. This restores the structural integrity of the slab.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You already have it exposed. Why can't you work around it?
I thought you were saw cutting the concrete initially.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Wet cutting is the style, for it does not destroy the integrity of the slab.

Nabs has it right.

The cut should've been subbed out to pros.

This looks totally DIY.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Cut 12” out of the middle, do your work. Buy enough #3s or #5s to cut 9 pieces 18” long. Tie wire 3 of them around each of the 6” cut rebar stubs nice and tight 120 degrees apart. Place the cut pieces in the middle if you want to hide the evidence. Pour concrete. :vs_cool:

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
The concrete was opened up before I was called in. Thanks, guys. I will figure out a plan B and keep the rebar intact.
The idiot shouldn’t have cut a footer like that. There is a formula to fix that and cutting the rebar isn’t going to matter. They will have to dig under it a certain amount on each side and pour a kind of platform and tie them together with rebar somehow. Or maybe a piling if that can be dug.
It’s a real problem. I hope your guys didn’t do it.:sad:

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The idiot shouldn’t have cut a footer like that. There is a formula to fix that and cutting the rebar isn’t going to matter. They will have to dig under it a certain amount on each side and pour a kind of platform and tie them together with rebar somehow. Or maybe a piling if that can be dug.
It’s a real problem. I hope your guys didn’t do it.:sad:
Nope.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,428 Posts
IF it is a structural slab, then the engineer may require rebar couplers.

Attachments

Reactions: splatz
1 - 16 of 16 Posts