Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It's simply a way to undercut Journeymen Electricians who paid their dues.
Don't listen to this bs. I'd like to hear from someone that any cw or ce took work out of their hands. I put my faith in the hall for excepting these guys and In my opinion it is being handled right.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
:eek:
Don't listen to this bs. I'd like to hear from someone that any cw or ce took work out of their hands. I put my faith in the hall for excepting these guys and In my opinion it is being handled right.
:laughing:

I give,,,I give...:laughing:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I wasn't to sure if you were in opposition or not Harry?

I'm against the IBEW looking for ways to cut wages,and from what I understand is that the ce/cw program is meant to do just that.

I don't see this idea as a good thing for the electrical trade,we all should be paid a professional wage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cw/Ce is just another form of apprentice without the title. They get paid almost same scale as apprentices. Very daunting.

·
13,020 Posts
If they want to get people in, fine. But don't run ads looking for cheap CE/CWs for a project when there's a buttload of JWs sitting on Book 1.

I understand recruiting people in is a priority but do it right and organize them as JWs or indenture them as apprentices. Don't undercut the people the IBEW is built on.

·
13,020 Posts
Are you trolling? :blink:

Go on Facebook and search for the group called IBEW CE/CW Watchdogs (I think that's what it's called, or similar) and read up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I posted a YouTube upload of some brothers with valid points. It seems like these brothers that are representing us aren't listening to the members.

·
Registered
32,124 Posts
The intention of the program is good. Implementation has been sketchy.
In our local they have a residential electrician, these guys hardly ever to NEVER do residential, but it gets the open shop men in the local and they can do an upgrade 2 or 3 years of school and become "A" wiremen. We need more men that the apprenticeship was turning out and it was a good way to bring men into the IBEW.

Do some take advantage of this sure, but overall I think it is a good program.

I just had a guy finish the upgrade school , obtain his license and is now an "A" wireman. He is happy and I am glad he show the drive to upgrade.

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
as an apprentice, I have seen most cw's make it to 2nd year and leave. they usually feel they are journeymen already and go back to non-union with what little they have learned. sone do make it through but not many. I think its a ok program, but they should have to become indentured. and I hear rumors that they will be allowed to travel soon and I think that is very wrong if it happens.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
a few years ago for every retiree drawing from the pension fund four guys were paying in. Now for every retiree drawing their is only one paying in. The pension fund is going to be upside down soon so it was decided in order to boost those paying into the system a lower paid class of wireman was the answer. The contractor benefited from the lower cost of manpower and the pension fund benefited from more dues paying members.

·
Registered
32,124 Posts
a few years ago for every retiree drawing from the pension fund four guys were paying in. Now for every retiree drawing their is only one paying in. The pension fund is going to be upside down soon so it was decided in order to boost those paying into the system a lower paid class of wireman was the answer. The contractor benefited from the lower cost of manpower and the pension fund benefited from more dues paying members.
I am not doubting what you say as the IBEW membership has shrunk, but do you have a link to something that backs this up. If you posted this informationbefore I must have missed it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I am not doubting what you say as the IBEW membership has shrunk, but do you have a link to something that backs this up. If you posted this informationbefore I must have missed it.
I received a dvd. From the local explaining t he classification and pension was one of the major topics. along with market recovery .

·
Registered
109 Posts
rewire said:
I would love to see proof of this.

rewire said:
I received a dvd. From the local explaining t he classification and pension was one of the major topics. along with market recovery .
Why would the local give YOU a DVD? can you perhaps take a picture of this DVD?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you trolling? :blink:

Go on Facebook and search for the group called IBEW CE/CW Watchdogs (I think that's what it's called, or similar) and read up.
Thanks for the useful information. It is similar. I found it under
IBEW CE/CW Program Monitors

If you listen to the YouTube Video I uploaded it seems like this has been in the works for some time back East. Here in L.A. they have started to use these CW/CE gentlemen that I know of in one Solar field job and I have seen calls for them posted on Job Calls for retail jobs. So they are starting to put these guys to work here in West very recently. Right now there are about 140 apprentices on the books for over one month. These apprentices range from 40% to 85%. It's about 5 classes of apprentices. Guys going without work for over one month. It seems like the hall is training apprentices to be at hall when they are journeymen. There are over 1000 JW's on the book.

I don't understand why not use apprentices instead of these CW/CE program. Apprentices are still cheap labor.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts