Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this cw with 5 years experience who is always ranting and raving about how he should be a journeyman and does the same level of work was at the jobsite. He was tasked to wire in some gfci switches. just like the gfci receps but without the recep parts. they are just used as a disconnecting means for a small motor. each motor had its own circuit 120v circuit and cable running to it. found it funny today when the foreman mentions he will have to go back a rewire all 12 because the cw connected them in parallel instead of using the line at the top and load at the bottom. 1st year type error yet this guy absolutely slams on every journeyman or foreman about how he knows more etc....

·
Registered
33,024 Posts
If he has 5 years experience doing anything in the trade and is not a JW, there are issues.

Or is this an "A" man that was called out and has his feelings hurt?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If he has 5 years experience doing anything in the trade and is not a JW, there are issues.

Or is this an "A" man that was called out and has his feelings hurt?
he does have the hours but only a year in of schooling. they wont let him take the jw test he claims. good worker but just a political mess, seems like he came from companies where bsing your way to the top was encouraged or worked.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
so this cw with 5 years experience who is always ranting and raving about how he should be a journeyman and does the same level of work was at the jobsite. He was tasked to wire in some gfci switches. just like the gfci receps but without the recep parts. they are just used as a disconnecting means for a small motor. each motor had its own circuit 120v circuit and cable running to it. found it funny today when the foreman mentions he will have to go back a rewire all 12 because the cw connected them in parallel instead of using the line at the top and load at the bottom. 1st year type error yet this guy absolutely slams on every journeyman or foreman about how he knows more etc....
How do you wire a switch in parallel ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh gotcha! That had me lost. Don't think I've ever seen done before either.
new to me also, I doubt they will ever use them as they are mounted on the cable tray 10 ft. up where they wanted them. the circuits are clearly marked in the control boxes so they will probally just run over to the panel and flip the breaker if they need to kill power to work on them.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
870 Posts
I had a supervisor like that. She was an "electrician" for 15 years, yet never got a license or passed the test and always worked hot like an idiot. :no:

Reactions: chadw

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Good worker but just a political mess, seems like he came from companies where bsing your way to the top was encouraged or worked.
My experience is those guys usually are decent electricians. Not stellar, but they can get the job done. The problem is their mouth usually leads to them pissing people off, and an average worker with poor people skills adds up to a below-average employee.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experience is those guys usually are decent electricians. Not stellar, but they can get the job done. The problem is their mouth usually leads to them pissing people off, and an average worker with poor people skills adds up to a below-average employee.
for small jobs with him they go smooth, but get to about 5 and it turns into a pissing match.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,364 Posts
found it funny today when the foreman mentions he will have to go back a rewire all 12 because the cw connected them in parallel instead of using the line at the top and load at the bottom. 1st year type error yet this guy absolutely slams on every journeyman or foreman about how he knows more etc....
Is the foreman going back to rewire them ? If so that is part of the problem !

I would've taken the guy aside and went over the issue, and worked on rewiring them with him.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
By our contract, I could tell him to go repair them on his own time. That or I would fire him for wasting my time. Problem solved.
what contract is this that allows you to force an employee to go work for free? Good luck with that, as a company you can be forced by the client to repair work, however you cannot make your employees work for free.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.