Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of the other threads LGLS brougt up a very important point. Your daily diary.
We should all keep a diary but for those who get to a supervisory position it is critical.
Not only does it CYA, but it can also protect the company you are working for. I've heard too many instances where a trade was told to proceed with a change, paper work will follow, and lo and behold, said paper never materialized. Now the trade has a fight on their hands.
Or a safety issue arose which may or may not have been dealt with.
Hard bound, written in pen, and as much detail as possible because it may become legal evidence.
I remember reading about a death on the confederation bridge. There was apparently a young worker who would not adhere to the safety rules. He had been given a few warnings but before he was let go, he did something incredibly stupid and unfortunately he died. Naturally the contractor was being sued by the compensation board and when it went to court the Supervisor's daily diary was entered into evidence. The judge read the diary and and said diary was so detailed that the judge was able to dismiss the case as the supervisor was able to prove that the company had followed all of the prescribed safety rules, warnings and penalties as dictated by the province.

It is good practice to get into the habit of doing a diary even for non supervisory staff.
Some of the stuff that is recorded is the weather, productivity, changes, he said she said, everything that happens on the project.
From a business point of view Whenever I am given verbal instructions, I respond with an email to the owner/contractor recapping those instructions so that my butt is covered later on down the road.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I kept a diary/journel throughout my career though I never really kept track of my own hours unless it was of special signifigant, I notice the 4 minor back injuries I had occurred after I was "rocking the clock" racking up doubles after doubles in my never ending quest to pay my mortgages off AND always drive a truck never older than 7 years...

One job I ran I logged the times a female apprentice I caught always sneaking out of her work location and hanging around a different foreman later revealed that she had a crush on, and was literally stalking hikm. (He was an extremely attractive man, she was an overweight girl immature with a face that regularily stopped clock and almost caused the permanently docked U.S.S. Intrepid Carrier to set sail...

Later the otther foreman told the GC and flat out they both along with a steward claimed that foremen forced her to do it and was molesteg her under threat that she'd be ejected from the apprenticeship and local 3/ IBEW forever. But that foreman also told me whenever he spotted her in his area and certainly 18 floors away from her assignment... always telling me she had to visit the can... But every phone call he made to me to give me the intel is logged in my iPhone, and his, and I kept that all in the journel too.

The steward approached me and pulled me aside, as well as the owner of the company who already sent a Limo to pice her up and bring her from Rockerfeller center to STaten Island to file her complaint at the Main Office and record a video.

The steward told me we're all up chits creek she's going to get away with this and nothing we can do... Bet I showed him my journal and the call log from the other foremen and they all matched exactly - that was all the proof they needed so the limo was contacted and before she was 1/2 way to the Verrazzano Narrows the Limo turned around and told her going directly to the pct. station house to make the complaint official... By the time the regular workday was over, she filed her false report and signed it and videoed her story and the police had it all and then the stew and the #1 and ! walked into the Pct and spoke to the detective and showed him what I had written and kept, and the logged calls, and the warnings I gave her, and that the whole thing was fabricated.

In about 2 minutes he had her sign something else to complete the report then lead her out of the room, handcuffed and arrested into a holding cell, off to Rikers tonight and then Arraignment court in the Morning..

Never saw her or heard about her again.

All I wanted was to document her lateness, excessive "bathroom breaks" and her not-in-work-area transgressions so I could fire her with a bad report because this would be her 2nd as a 1st year apprentice and the local would have shown her the door and no hope of filing any believable discrimination lawsuit. SHe even got huffy and copped attitude with me when after her 3rd latness I made her sit until the 1st hour and get that lateness documented too on her paystubs... "Not my fault the bus was late?" "Not my fault the bus was too crowded/ subway issues/ I was stopped by a steward (I knwew to be on vacation on my friend's land here upstate for a week) so...

Yes - it sucks something that little like keeping a written diary can be that useful, but what I love the most about my journals is I have all the names and phone numbers and sometimes addresses of people I worked with but tooo busy to keep in touch with... as well as a good waltz down memory lane including a loot of snapshots I took usually with those disposable cameras in cardboard boxes, until smartphones started including cameras. There a lot of good memories in there and someday, I'm going to need reminding.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,729 Posts
Your daily diary.
We should all keep a diary but for those who get to a supervisory position it is critical.
Not only does it CYA, but it can also protect the company you are working for. The judge read the diary and and said diary was so detailed that the judge was able to dismiss the case as the supervisor was able to prove that the company had followed all of the prescribed safety rules, warnings and penalties as dictated by the province.
As a supervisor I just went to training on this. It is great to do BUT only do the Who, What, Where, and When not the Why.
If you ever do have to go to court for something they can subpoena and paperwork you have at work. If you have any guesses as to WHY in there you may lose or if you refer to someone in a bad way.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI, here's an example of a typical diary.
You dont have to write a novel, just the key points of the day.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,363 Posts
Didn't a certain Judge keep a daily dairy since he was 12 years old? He was able to show where he was 30 years ago as opposed to someone who just happened to vaguely remember something from 30 years ago.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Didn't a certain Judge keep a daily dairy since he was 12 years old? He was able to show where he was 30 years ago as opposed to someone who just happened to vaguely remember something from 30 years ago.
You tell me?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts