Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know of a website or app that sends out a daily email with code questions or other electrical exercises?

I figure it might be a good idea to stay "in shape" regarding some of the math and some of the other stuff we don't see on a regular basis at work.

By the way, I've found an american site that has a daily question, but it's based on the NEC and I'm Canadian born and bred, so it's a little different.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Does anyone here know of a website or app that sends out a daily email with code questions or other electrical exercises?

I figure it might be a good idea to stay "in shape" regarding some of the math and some of the other stuff we don't see on a regular basis at work.

By the way, I've found an american site that has a daily question, but it's based on the NEC and I'm Canadian born and bred, so it's a little different.

Any ideas?
What is the minimum height of a fire alarm pull station? (In Canada)

·
Registered
565 Posts
1200mm and as high as 1400mm. In the city of winnipeg it has to be 1200mm to centre.

What is the maximum height for an EOL. I learned this one the hard way.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's a building code question. Not an electrical question.
Okay, I'll re-phrase the question. What is the minimum height of an ELECTRICAL fire alarm pull station?

Answer: 1200 mm to centre: CAN/ULC-S524-06 at 5.2.1

Here's a non-electrical question: If the CEC 2012 costs over $100 and has 600 pages, how many pages are in CAN/ULC-S524-06 for about $250.00?

Answer: about 100 - that's 50 pieces of paper stapled on one side.

My opinion #1: Why did the fire alarm guy say they buried a rule change that he missed so I have to change the system from class B to class A? If you take out the tables and indexes, etc, it's 35 pages. What kind of idiot can't stay on top of 35 pages of rules? Surely they didn't change them all!

My opinion #2: What is the CAN/ULC standard for a reasonable price for a document?

My opinion #3: They owe me breakfast. After you screw someone, the least you can do is buy them breakfast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's a building code question. Not an electrical question.
It is perfectly relevant though. Electricians deal with building and fire code on a daily basis, with or without knowing it. Thanks for the question xlink, made me think back.

I've got one from the CEC now. Sort of obscure:

How many times must the air in a rink be exchanged per hour in order to be considered a dry location?

·
Registered
96 Posts
well I don't think there is anywhere in the code where it directly states what wiring method is to be used so it falls back on section 12 I guess. I have seen lights like this done with pipe, don't really know why you would though unless thats what the customer wants, otherwise BX seems standard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmm, thanks I would have taken that to be referencing chandeliers or old style hanging lights in residential. The part that confuses me about that if used in reference to chain hung fluorescents is part (1). This wouldn't allow you to use BX but that tends to be common wiring practice. Shed some light?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hmm, thanks I would have taken that to be referencing chandeliers or old style hanging lights in residential. The part that confuses me about that if used in reference to chain hung fluorescents is part (1). This wouldn't allow you to use BX but that tends to be common wiring practice. Shed some light?
4-102(2)(c), but it isn't much light. You can buy a fluorescent with a flexible cord attached, but not BX. I wonder if there is another rule somewhere.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anybody know why according to the table after table D3,
the distance correction factor,
a conductor with a lower temperature rating can go further than
a conductor with higher temperature rating?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does anybody know why according to the table after table D3,
the distance correction factor,
a conductor with a lower temperature rating can go further than
a conductor with higher temperature rating?
Im guessing because the lower rating isn't allowed to get as hot, thus a lower resistance? Same with a lower percentage of ampacity won't get as hot in comparison.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here is a practice question from red seal website, industrial electrician.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=123&fid=20

9. What is the minimum size of RW90 copper conductors required to feed a 230 V, 5 hp, single-phase motor located 60 m from the distributor centre, without exceeding a 3% voltage drop?
A. No. 4 AWG
B. No. 6 AWG
C. No. 8 AWG
D. No. 10 AWG (the correct answer)
My answer was 6 AWG (wrong). I could use some help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here is a practice question from red seal website, industrial electrician.

http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=123&fid=20

9. What is the minimum size of RW90 copper conductors required to feed a 230 V, 5 hp, single-phase motor located 60 m from the distributor centre, without exceeding a 3% voltage drop?
A. No. 4 AWG
B. No. 6 AWG
C. No. 8 AWG
D. No. 10 AWG (the correct answer)
My answer was 6 AWG (wrong). I could use some help.
I get the same answer as you do. For three-phase it would be 10 AWG.

I don't actually do those calculations anymore: Canadian Wire Size Calculator

1 - 20 of 47 Posts