Electrician Talk banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Do you have a picture that shows the metal mounting strap? Is there anything printed on it and would the ground have to be down or up to read it
Irrelevant to anyone other than the guy who loaded the yokes into the yoke installing machine.

If printing on the strap was important, the first item printed would be "TOP".

Big nosed attic troll
For anyone who actually gives a chit bout Canadian UL鈥.

Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) was originally an unrelated Canadian clone of UL. This pissed off UL鈥檚 Board of Directors. Over time (decades) they got seats on ULC鈥檚 Board of Directors until they could do a takeover. It鈥檚 now a division of UL.

In UL鈥檚 Product IQ, if the UL GuideInfo (alphanumerical) ends in 鈥7鈥 or 鈥8鈥, that鈥檚 US UL鈥檚 Listing or Recognition categories, respectively, for Canada. If instead a 鈥淐鈥 is appended to the 4-letter GuideInfo, then that鈥檚 ULC鈥檚 GuideInfo equivalent GuideInfo (for Canada) instead of US UL鈥檚.

Light Bender
plumber
Irrelevant to anyone other than the guy who loaded the yokes into the yoke installing machine.

If printing on the strap was important, the first item printed would be "TOP".
I agree that it is not important, and does not indicated how the receptacle is to be orientated when installed, but it is not random and is always the same on our receptacles. To read it the ground pin has to be up.
I am curious if the receptacles in the US are the same. (My guess is yes, they are the same)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I agree that it is not important, and does not indicated how the receptacle is to be orientated when installed, but it is not random and is always the same on our receptacles. To read it the ground pin has to be up.
I am curious if the receptacles in the US are the same. (My guess is yes, they are the same)
Not All, some are both ways, some are right side up. 馃槈

Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
All right the op is not forth coming with a pic
so i will
keep in mind, less than great phone
however the stamped in writing on the yoke is right side up with the ground up
the back of the yoke has
made in usa
stamped in
the mfg is eaton, standard 15A duplex recept. bought from local SH

White Light Gas Plastic Machine

Registered
Electrical Contractor

Rectangle Font Material property Electronic device Wood

Premium Member
Working With the Tools
Do you have a picture that shows the metal mounting strap? Is there anything printed on it and would the ground have to be down or up to read it
Depends on the manufacturer, with Leviton (Our largest resi manufacturer) the ground would be down to read the logo and UL label more easily. However, with Hubbell and others it can be either way. The NEC does not require the ground to be down but given the fact that just about all of our 120v pigtails (Millions of them) with 90 degree attachment caps have the ground on the bottom, most electricians by standard practice, install them with the ground down. However, If you go into most of our hospitals you will see the the ground is up because most of the pigtails on their testing machines etc. do not turn the attachment cap 90 degrees but rather are straight in.

Our National Fire Protection Association almost put GROUND UP in the NEC around 1990 because a restaurant worker was killed in Cincinnati, OH when he crawled across a stainless steel table and his gold necklace fell down and hit the hot prong of a 120v attachment cap that was not pushed all the way in. Caused tons of lawsuits and several electrical engineers (Probably from Ohio) to petition the NFPA to change the NEC. They argued that he would have lived if the ground prong had been up. I never did hear the reason that that our NEC was not changed, but I would bet it was because of the standard practice (That I mentioined above) by all the pigtail manufacturers of putting the gound on the bottom.

Light Bender
plumber
Depends on the manufacturer, with Leviton (Our largest resi manufacturer) the ground would be down to read the logo and UL label more easily. However, with Hubbell and others it can be either way. The NEC does not require the ground to be down but given the fact that just about all of our 120v pigtails (Millions of them) with 90 degree attachment caps have the ground on the bottom, most electricians by standard practice, install them with the ground down. However, If you go into most of our hospitals you will see the the ground is up because most of the pigtails on their testing machines etc. do not turn the attachment cap 90 degrees but rather are straight in.

Our National Fire Protection Association almost put GROUND UP in the NEC around 1990 because a restaurant worker was killed in Cincinnati, OH when he crawled across a stainless steel table and his gold necklace fell down and hit the hot prong of a 120v attachment cap that was not pushed all the way in. Caused tons of lawsuits and several electrical engineers (Probably from Ohio) to petition the NFPA to change the NEC. They argued that he would have lived if the ground prong had been up. I never did hear the reason that that our NEC was not changed, but I would bet it was because of the standard practice (That I mentioined above) by all the pigtail manufacturers of putting the gound on the bottom.
No code for receptacle orientation in Canada either

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Never seen one that wasn鈥檛 upside down. You got a picture of one like that?
Geez you're stubborn. That pic I posted earlier was the first receptacle I pulled off the shelf. Here's the second:
White Material property Font Jewellery Technology

Even the writing on the plastic is rightside up, FFS.

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Safest is sideways, neutral up. I thought every self-respecting electrician knew that !
You're using that term a might loosely when referring to me..... :D

Sideways with the hot down so your gold chain doesn't get you in trouble?

Big nosed attic troll

I remember it but much of it is speculative at best. Even with grounding contact up, the restaurant workers chain could have bypassed any contact with the grounding and grounded contact and struck the ungrounded contact. Only GFCI could have prevented that fatality.
Plus, now further recessing of the contacts due to TRR.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts