Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys live in an area that has dark sky laws? Do you like it or think it is just stupid?
I am thinking about pushing for it in my small town (30,000 or so), but if it is a waste of time I probably just blow it off.
Thanks Scoot

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,147 Posts
Not sure why but I wasn't aware of this. But then again I've been in a rural country area the last six years. We don't need laws here, there is such a small amount of light around here at night. Moving here from NJ, my wife and I both love to look up at night and see a million stars in the sky.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,916 Posts
Go for it.
Look here if you haven't already. http://darksky.org/

It's amazing how different the sky looks at night here (Boston Suburbs) compared to my friend's house in the middle of Maine.

We don't have an ordinance here but everything we upgrade to LED like our streetlights are dark sky compliant. I think most of the new stuff is.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I exist in such a locality , less than 3K in my town

We get flooded annually by the stellafane star gazers , brickenstock wearing ,volvo driving environmentalists ,mostly from very bright cities who are bent on 'saving us from ourselves' by demonizing guys like me who fix a street light.

Lord help their fat little tuskettes can't see the milky way.....:rolleyes:~CS~:no:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,426 Posts
Do any of you guys live in an area that has dark sky laws? Do you like it or think it is just stupid?
I am thinking about pushing for it in my small town (30,000 or so), but if it is a waste of time I probably just blow it off.
Thanks Scoot
There were federal laws passed regarding light pollution years ago. People ignore it for the reasons of security and safety.

I haven't seen the Milky Way in 30 years and I miss it..

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,916 Posts
I exist in such a locality , less than 3K in my town

We get flooded annually by the stellafane star gazers , brickenstock wearing ,volvo driving environmentalists ,mostly from very bright cities who are bent on 'saving us from ourselves' by demonizing guys like me who fix a street light.

Lord help their fat little tuskettes can't see the milky way.....:rolleyes:~CS~:no:
I don't have a Volvo.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,426 Posts
Wirenutting, that makes me a bit sad. I see the stars almost every night. Sometimes it is good to live in Nebraska.
At sea I was amazed how bright the night sky is. I could sit on deck and read a book. I grew up 30 miles out of NYC and now live 30 miles north of Chicago and when I look up I'm lucky to see a couple dozen stars.
I have an app called planets, it gives me a 3D view of what I'm missing. LoL

Light pollution it terrible and IMO it's sad that a generation has grown up never seeing the sky. Of course it's been good for electricians who install lights.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
( for full effect);)

My trade must be a kind of blind one
I can't see any milky way too
Sha bop sha bop..... Sha bop sha bop

Are the stars out tonight
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright
Yes, we're hiding the skys from view.....
Sha bop sha bop

The moon may be high
Sha bop sha bop
But I can't see a thing in the sky
We're hiding the skys from view

I don't know if we're in lawsuit
Or have a legal avenue
Sha bop sha bop

You are here .... Sha bop sha bop
And so am I ....Sha bop sha bop
Maybe millions of people parrot lies
'Cuase they all give the green machine it's due
We're hiding the skys from view
And their milky way eyes are through
Sha bop sha bop Sha bop sha bop

~C(w/apologies to the flamingos)S~

·
Registered
36 Posts
Failed a inspection once in a city i don't work in much at house on top of knob st .

The strictest translation of the dark sky coat is if the bulb can be seen from neighbors property its a no go.Hard to do on the knob .Thank you Mr. 40w appliance bulb.
Tricka

·
Super Moderator
8,340 Posts
There are different types of dark sky ordinances.

They vary from outright bans on outdoor lighting (Sanibel, FL) to requirements for lighting to only project light downward.

Some beaches have sea turtle nesting season regulations (Fort Myers Beach, FL) that prohibit burning outdoor lights within n feet of a beach during certain months.

We make outdoor light controls, so of course I want to see lights everywhere!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.