Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to run some Cat5E cable for a company and the town they're in requires a permit & inspection.

I've run quite a few cables before but none were inspected. I was looking in Article 800 for things I would need to know for inspection. One of the things that's got me wondering is how to (and to what) strap the cable. It sends you back to 300.4(D) and 300.11 for that.

Basically it says you can't strap anything to the ceiling support wires or to the grid itself. Also can't use other conduit/raceways. So, what's left above a dropped ceiling that would be compliant?
This job could take forever if I have to add support wires to the ceiling just to strap some Cat5 to.
I really don't see why you can't strap something as light as Cat5 to the support wires, but it is what it is.

What do you guys strap to if it's being inspected?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's the above ceiling look like? Wood, metal beam, v bar? It needs to be supported every 5 feet give or take. You may have no choice but to hang grid wire and attach the proper hooks to it. Check out caddy or bee line voice/data catalogs for ideas. They have things that will clamp or bang onto beams, purlings, and batwings to put on grid wire.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the above ceiling look like? Wood, metal beam, v bar? It needs to be supported every 5 feet give or take. You may have no choice but to hang grid wire and attach the proper hooks to it. Check out caddy or bee line voice/data catalogs for ideas. They have things that will clamp or bang onto beams, purlings, and batwings to put on grid wire.
I don't know what it looks like. It's 100 miles from me and I will be seeing it for the first time when I go to do the install.

I have batwings and have used them before on troffer support wires but that wasn't being inspected. I also have some beam clamps but don't know what's above the ceiling.

This is in a commercial office building so I assume it's a metal framed structure above the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't know what it looks like. It's 100 miles from me and I will be seeing it for the first time when I go to do the install.

I have batwings and have used them before on troffer support wires but that wasn't being inspected. I also have some beam clamps but don't know what's above the ceiling.

This is in a commercial office building so I assume it's a metal framed structure above the ceiling.
Bring J Hooks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
They mount to a bat wing, beam clamp, bang on, or directly to any material you can screw into. Go to the caddy or bee line web site and search for their structured cabling catalogs.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Installing tie wires in a drop ceiling takes about 30 seconds.

Unless you don't have a twister made up, then you might be there all day.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts