Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know who makes a dual split transfer switch for a standby generator.

I see Briggs & Stratton and GE makes one for two 200 amp panels.
I'm really looking for two 150 amp panel transfer switch.

·
zap
1,339 Posts

if you are talking about the ge harmony ones they are only sold as a package as far as i know.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
Really, That would work because Briggs has the dual 200 amp transfer switch.
That will pass inspection?
No that will not work unless you step your service entrance conductor and meter ped size up to accommodate the now 200 amp mains.

If you want to do a straight up install just do two generac RTSY150A3 transfer switches. Piece of cake

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No that will not work unless you step your service entrance conductor and meter ped size up to accommodate the now 200 amp mains.

If you want to do a straight up install just do two generac RTSY150A3 transfer switches. Piece of cake
Sounds good... now I need two sets of wire from the generator to both transfers and two sets of low voltage runs correct?

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

EDITED QUESTION....

I just need a complete standby system for a 2-150 amp panels service.
I want the easiest and most affordable way to do it.
These manufactures make it hard to purchase.
1 dual transfer switch seems to be the best for price and install but I don't see a dual 150 / 300 amp split transfer switch made by anyone.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

1 dual transfer switch seems to be the best for price and install but I don't see a dual 150 / 300 amp split transfer switch made by anyone.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why 150? odd ball size!!! Im thinking you have a 320 meter base?

·
Can't Remember
10,147 Posts
I don't think you'll find one either. Its the way it goes with installs. Location, electrical demands, and load shedding all play into how these systems go together and which manufacture you choose. Choose the best you can and price accordingly. Six control wires to the first and the low voltage ones only to the second.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Sounds good... now I need two sets of wire from the generator to both transfers and two sets of low voltage runs correct?
No, one set of each from generator.
But some of that control wiring is 240v so
It's not necessarily low voltage.
With generac, you need 6 control wires. Bring them to switch one. Then jump 0, 23, and 194(only) from switch one to switch two. Set a box by your switches and split off your gen feed to hit each transfer switch.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, one set of each from generator.
But some of that control wiring is 240v so
It's not necessarily low voltage.
With generac, you need 6 control wires. Bring them to switch one. Then jump 0, 23, and 194(only) from switch one to switch two. Set a box by your switches and split off your gen feed to hit each transfer switch.
Got it, how do I size the wire from the generator to the junction box? for 2- 150 amp panels.

·
Flat Broke...
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think you'll find one either. Its the way it goes with installs. Location, electrical demands, and load shedding all play into how these systems go together and which manufacture you choose. Choose the best you can and price accordingly. Six control wires to the first and the low voltage ones only to the second.
understand, I really like the idea of GE and Briggs making the 200 amp dual transfer switch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts