Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the new GFCI requirements for kitchens in the 2014 NEC, I'm thinking they should start selling dead fronts in a 3 or even a 6 pack now.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,042 Posts
When I buy gfci receptacles I buy by the box (10) I am sure they have dead fronts the same way. Are you thinking it would be cheaper????

·
Registered
Electrician
3,585 Posts
Why a deadfront?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Next72969 said:
Accessibility, dishwashers and most fridges will be required in this code cycle, and people aren't going to pullout these appliances any time there's a trip.
Lol I said pull out

·
Registered
Electrician
3,585 Posts
Accessibility, dishwashers and most fridges will be required in this code cycle, and people aren't going to pullout these appliances any time there's a trip.
Gawd! Just think of all the nuisance tripping.:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
Time to start building houses with GFCI closets.. all the GFCI resets for the house will be located there.
probably just dead fronts next to the panel so when either the afci or gfci trips the homeowners only have to go to one place

·
13,020 Posts
Dishwashers make sense, but refrigerators? I dunno about that. I'm not opposed to code changes like this but when my refrigerator GFCI decides to trip when I'm on vacation or something I wouldn't look forward to opening it up when I got home.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
erics37 said:
Dishwashers make sense, but refrigerators? I dunno about that. I'm not opposed to code changes like this but when my refrigerator GFCI decides to trip when I'm on vacation or something I wouldn't look forward to opening it up when I got home.
im pretty sure it changed to everything within 6' of a sink, thats why i said most fridges. However, were stuck on '08 in ny so i havent read the changes thoroughly.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
im pretty sure it changed to everything within 6' of a sink, thats why i said most fridges. However, were stuck on '08 in ny so i havent read the changes thoroughly.
You are correct. I'm doing a condo kitchen reno right now and the fridge, micro hood, gas stove, dishwasher, disposal are all GFCI and AFCI protected. Cha muthafukin ching!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
electricmanscott said:
You are correct. I'm doing a condo kitchen reno right now and the fridge, micro hood, gas stove, dishwasher, disposal are all GFCI and AFCI protected. Cha muthafukin ching!
how are you dealing with gfci protecting everything?

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I've always called them FACELESS GFCI's but whatever...

As for the new changes, I hope I'm covered under the rehab code because all this AFCI/ GFCI nonsense is difficult to keep up with and doesn't always make a lot of sense. I'm down with the code but some things in the NEC are just dumb.

·
Estwing magic
26,740 Posts
I want to see the acrobat who can put one hand in the sink while pulling out a refrigerator and sticking his other hand into a receptacle six feet away.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts