Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Estwing magic
27,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GC who is on my A list in terms of profitability and paying his bills but he's a screaming control freak.

I realize that most GC's are control freaks but this guy is really over the top. He won't tolerate feedback and when I ask questions, he starts screaming and swearing, "Do it the way I tell you to".

His previous electrician was an old guy clearly stuck in the 70's. When I arrived on site with plastic airtight device boxes, this GC freaked. There was no room for conversation. He just screamed about bulges in drywall, etc. I have used these boxes for three years and every other GC loves them.

He started yelling at me today and I hung up on him. He texted me back with a half baked apology and orders to "follow instructions".

I can deal with hard asses. With hard asses, you just stand your ground and don't take their crap. Control freaks are different. With them, it's Last Man Standing.

Any tips on dealing with this guy besides smile and nod and become his nice little robot (sounds like marriage :( )?

·
332 Posts
If he pays well, and on time, and you want/need his work, then you have to have a discussion with him. If not, you will explode over something very small, and quit, or lose his work. While I believe at times it is important to swallow ones pride, you must decide how much you can take. I dealt with the same situation 10 years ago, and when we finally had the nose to nose shouting match, and I proved my point, it was over. This guy sounds like the same guy I dealt with, he has this thought in his head that screaming is the only way to prove his point. Stand your ground, explain your level of professionalism, (and prove it) and move on.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
I do not take screaming and yelling well at all. It's a great way to bring out the ******* side of me. That said, if you value his business, I'd probably pull him aside or take him to lunch and politely ask him to refrain from the yelling.
If that doesn't work, perhaps a throat-punch is in order.

·
Estwing magic
27,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm just going to say a couple of things to him and leave it be. If I get into a "discussion" it will only escalate. He's going on vacation next week so I'll give him a couple of things to think about.

I have another GC who is very cutting edge and always open to new ideas and technology. This guy, however, is very set in his ways although he's not really all that old. I need to remind myself to treat different clients differently.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
His previous electrician was an old guy clearly stuck in the 70's.
Just for the record 99 is NOT talking about me. :no:

I was cutting edge cutting edge back in the 70's. :) I wired a house using Banana boxes (blue plastic thingies for you guys down south). Never heard the end of it and never used them again.

99 is probably working for that guys son. :eek:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
prior to starting the job, prior to signing an agreement (the next one), you need to sit down and go over all the (very) specific things that this guy wants, and how he wants them, do that you have a <meeting of the minds>. if you don't have a meeting of the minds, not only will it be virtually impossible to make money, and get the job done, but you will stand the likelihood of having to spend some time in court. If and when you fully understand what kind of stupid crap is bouncing around in this guys head, you might not be able to make any money with him anyway if he is as thick as it sounds, and will want to bail.

Reactions: CADPoint

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Is there plans, specs etc for these projects? Is he an electrician? As long as you are going by plans, specs, code and if he started yelling at me and telling me how to do my job then there is one BIG problem. First of all, I do not stand there and let anyone yell at me. You want to have an adult conversation and talk about a couple things fine, but raise your voice to me and we have problems. Do I look like a 7 year old?

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,255 Posts
When I arrived on site with plastic airtight device boxes, this GC freaked. There was no room for conversation.
What does he want you to use?

As long as what he wants you to use is allowed by code, I would just go with it and figure out how much more it's going to cost in labour, materials, trips to the supply house, etc. and tell him you will have to tack that on to the price.

If he wants you to do something against code, explain that you can't do that. If it's still not acceptable to him...RUN!

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Its either insecurity or a heavy-duty ego.
Some people aren't too crazy about other, self-made people. I've been told by several people, that I was "independent".
Independence is earned, not a gift. :thumbup:
That could well be the case Retired One

The trick is in recognizing it, and using it against them

There's a lot of people out there that need a checkup from the neck up, that an EC will always need to deal with sooner or later

I do, and try not to get mad. I think to myself 'how can i get this tard to make me more $$$ with his foolish interventions and insistence into a trade he thinks he knows everything about?'

Think of it as shrinkychological ju jitsu....:thumbup:
~CS~

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
99cents said:
I have a GC who is on my A list in terms of profitability and paying his bills but he's a screaming control freak. I realize that most GC's are control freaks but this guy is really over the top. He won't tolerate feedback and when I ask questions, he starts screaming and swearing, "Do it the way I tell you to". His previous electrician was an old guy clearly stuck in the 70's. When I arrived on site with plastic airtight device boxes, this GC freaked. There was no room for conversation. He just screamed about bulges in drywall, etc. I have used these boxes for three years and every other GC loves them. He started yelling at me today and I hung up on him. He texted me back with a half baked apology and orders to "follow instructions". I can deal with hard asses. With hard asses, you just stand your ground and don't take their crap. Control freaks are different. With them, it's Last Man Standing. Any tips on dealing with this guy besides smile and nod and become his nice little robot (sounds like marriage :( )?
. We've all dealt with people line this unfortunately , but it goes with the territory , unfortunately ! Try talking to him about and nicely explain how yelling tends to not make you get more done . It sounds like his main issue , is one of materials and methods ? If that's the case , submit cuts on materials you generally use . If he's got a problem with it , ask why , and tell him that using materials he may want will jack up your price . I wouldn't jump through too many hoops though . There's always someone better and " nicer " to work for out there .

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
When I arrived on site with plastic airtight device boxes, this GC freaked. There was no room for conversation. He just screamed about bulges in drywall, etc.
Why were there bulges in the drywall? That would bother me too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.