Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a text from a GC how he is enraged because I don't spend $100 for bulbs and toggle switches for temp lighting on his new builds. I energize the gfci at panel and sometimes a bathroom outlet. Is this a normal request for electricians to lamp all the hihats, place pigtails , install temporary toggle switches for free.

Reactions: wcord

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask for a scope of work before you bid the job. Temporary lighting is common but you shouldn't be required to fire up every fixture location.
These are sq ft bid new residential builds.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I just got a text from a GC how he is enraged because I don't spend $100 for bulbs and toggle switches for temp lighting on his new builds. I energize the gfci at panel and sometimes a bathroom outlet. Is this a normal request for electricians to lamp all the hihats, place pigtails , install temporary toggle switches for free.
We do the same as you, two temp gfci.
No lighting.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Shockdoc said:
Always done a gfci in bathroom on each floor and one on the panel.

No lights.

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
:(
These are sq ft bid new residential builds.
Shock, it doesn't matter if it's an outhouse. If it's in your contract, you do it. If not, it's an extra. Maybe include a footer in your agreement that says temporary lighting is an extra. My "does not include" list on quotes is beginning to sound like an advertisement for antidepressants (may cause drowsiness, diarrhea, limp d!ck or death...) but it has saved my ass a few times.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I supply minimal temp lighting. A couple of reusable bright temp lights placed throughout with leftover toggle switches that I find on my truck. Everyone is happier while working with light. While the GC is happy when this is done, it's the other trades that benefit and I have no problem making them happy.

What kind of bulbs are you using for $100? Either way, they are still reusable for future temp lighting and it's not all that much. Every fixture would be outrageous and I'm sure you are stretching that one a bit.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It's always the same :censored:GC's , who show up w/o any portable lighting or extension cords wanting us to energize circuitry before a final .

Then if we DO spark it up, the undiffused light becomes an issue for painters and drywallers .....:rolleyes:

Temping , according to code, is assuming liability. That L word means we do it our way, and there's a $$$ for it:thumbsup:

~CS~

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I've never supplied temp lighting on a resi job. Trades can bring their own. They sell 'construction lights' by the boatload where I come from.

Like you I put a receptacle on each floor for everyone.

As for a $100? Heck of a lot more than that by the time you have it done. Tell him go shopping for his own temp lights and bring them and $400 in cash and you will install.

WTF does he want free for?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
:(

Shock, it doesn't matter if it's an outhouse. If it's in your contract, you do it. If not, it's an extra. Maybe include a footer in your agreement that says temporary lighting is an extra. My "does not include" list on quotes is beginning to sound like an advertisement for antidepressants (may cause drowsiness, diarrhea, limp d!ck or death...) but it has saved my ass a few times.
If i only had a $.05 for every GC i've had to say this to>

"If i didn't write it up, the intent was we were not going to do it.....how do YOU address items NOT contracted"?

~CS~

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Reactions: Shockdoc

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I supply minimal temp lighting. A couple of reusable bright temp lights placed throughout with leftover toggle switches that I find on my truck. Everyone is happier while working with light. While the GC is happy when this is done, it's the other trades that benefit and I have no problem making them happy.

What kind of bulbs are you using for $100? Either way, they are still reusable for future temp lighting and it's not all that much. Every fixture would be outrageous and I'm sure you are stretching that one a bit.
I only temp out kitchen or bathroom lights on renovation jobs, a new house? Never heard of this before. Never included that in writing.

·
Estwing magic
27,537 Posts
It's one of those little extras you can include that can land you a job. It's not difficult if you plan it out during rough-in. To do it after the fact is a PITA. I have medium socket pigtails I use job after job and use old switches pulled from jobs.

Like other guys say, it's probably more common in renovation work. For hit and run new housing, not so much.

Use it as a selling point.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
What is needed here is the post Romex Racer once made at EKR regarding GC's and his sunglasses. Classic.

Reactions: walkerj
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.