Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a demo job. I had been taught to tie the hot and the neutral together on the homerun to trip breaker if someone had turned it back on before I could get back and pull it out. Another guy says this could trip the main and cause the whole section to go down. Who is right?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someonespecial said:
What? Why not disconnect it at the panel first?
We are tracing multiple ckts. Want to get into the panel one time. Pulling all cables back to the elec. room then disconnect.

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
ampman said:
with improper coordination it could trip the main
Screwdrivers from the bus to the neutral jumper trip the main too!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tie em together. ..let some a $$ hole reset a breaker and dump the main...then walk into the panel room and throw a hammer at the jerk who is turning breakers back on.

Reactions: randas and Locknutz

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you turn the circuit off, demo said circuit back to the homerun box. I have no problem grounding the conductor out, then take your handy dandy meter and remove the "shorted to ground" conductors from the "over current device"

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Working on a demo job. I had been taught to tie the hot and the neutral together on the homerun to trip breaker if someone had turned it back on before I could get back and pull it out. Another guy says this could trip the main and cause the whole section to go down. Who is right?
You could trip the main in a building doing that and cost that business millions depending on what their working on,A good example is a site I was on they used a metal halide lamp that cost $20,000 ( used to simulate direct sunlight) it is good for one start and only will last a few months before it would start loosing it's full brightness , once the lamp got shut off it would not start again and they had several spares locked up in a safe and it would take a wile to get one on order.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CADPoint said:
You need more tools and you are scary!
Just to be clear we are using a ckt tracer and turning the ckt off before removing the devices. We are not tripping the breaker to locate it.

·
Never Used Scotchkote
2,811 Posts
Locknutz said:
Just to be clear we are using a ckt tracer and turning the ckt off before removing the devices. We are not tripping the breaker to locate it.
Locknutz said:
Working on a demo job. I had been taught to tie the hot and the neutral together on the homerun to trip breaker
You sure??

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You could trip the main in a building doing that and cost that business millions depending on what their working on,A good example is a site I was on they used a metal halide lamp that cost $20,000 ( used to simulate direct sunlight) it is good for one start and only will last a few months before it would start loosing it's full brightness , once the lamp got shut off it would not start again and they had several spares locked up in a safe and it would take a wile to get one on order.
Sounds like they should have it on a UPS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts