Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,
I need to design 50 HP Auto Transformer Starter. Please need help. I need Material list with rating. Please suggest Transformer rating and steps .

Thanks in advance...

·
rollin' with doube d's
102 Posts
Sounds like a homework question...

You need to convert HP to KW, get a TX to suit, and create a control circuit to suit.

You'll need several contactors, a timer or two, electrical and mechanical interlocking, motor protection, etc.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
hi cletis

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I have a hard enough time forcing myself to do my own homework.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,638 Posts
Sounds more like an engineer with little experience and has been asked to do this by his employer.
I would suggest they go soft start and not use this starting method.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,897 Posts
1) What type of load is the motor starting, this will determine the KVA rating of the transformer, as well as the starting voltage applied to the motor.

2) In addition to the above, how long can the motor stand starting current? A NEMA motor can take a LOT more than an IEC one. This will determine how long the transformer stays in the circuit.

3) Design the control circuit around the above.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Motor starting autotransformers are sold as definite purpose devices based on HP (or kW). So when you find a supplier, just tell them the motor size, they will already have a design for it. You do not do this by using an off the shelf distribution transformer, it will not have the necessary taps, it will be too expensive and too big.

Why you would do this is questionable. By the time you are done with your engineering time component cost and wiring time, you could have bought two solid state soft starters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A client need 50 HP Auto Transformer Starter for Pump application. 3 Taping in Transformer at 50%,65%,80% . Now i find to rating of power contactor for ATS.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,897 Posts
I don't know how it is in India, but in the USA it's almost always less money to but an assembled unit rather than build one.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't know how it is in India, but in the USA it's almost always less money to but an assembled unit rather than build one.
I don't believe there is any "almost" involved...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts