Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :) My name is Kevin, I'm a students from the Cal State University Fullerton. This semester we are working with an independent electrician to create a tool use to bend conduits quickly and accurately. We’re interested in electricians who have experience in residential, commercial, and industrial applications.

We were wondering if any of you could answer some questions for us. There’s a nine-question survey here:
https://fullerton.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1zyYaBGiNj3mQ9D

We’d really appreciate your help!
Thanks for your time! If you have any questions feel free to comment or DM.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Just stop...

Our entire industry addresses this issue -- 365 days a year.

I should think you're being toyed with.

Really.

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
Would you be interested in a 5 in 1 tool that provides you with a level, pencil, reamer, and a scorer to mark conduit so your orientation is the same no matter where you are bending the conduit?

Yes
Maybe
No
Good luck with that Kevin, and please look me up when you get to 'self cleaning' chickens.....:notworthy:~CS~:notworthy:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
Welcome aboard Cal State!

Now be a good little idiot and get lost!

If you are not a professional electrician or professional, you don't belong on this forum!

IBTL

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
Is this how the Caddy guy got his start?
No I believe he actually started by working in the trade rather than just trying to fix something he had no personal experience with or knowledge of.

Why do so many dingbats fly out of California?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
I did it and I do not know why you guys are being such a prick to him. He is doing it for a school project and was honest.
I hope he comes back and tells you guys to **** off.
Gee has this become Electricians Talk and home work helper forum all of a sudden?

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Gee has this become Electricians Talk and home work helper forum all of a sudden?
What is your problem? The kid is in college and has a project dealing with the electrical industry that an electrician told him about. He is conducting a survey as part of that schooling, which requires information from electricians. This is a forum for the people he is trying to survey. What is so hard about that train of thought that would make you so coarse? Aren't you retired anyway?

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
When it comes right down to it Mech, you are not in the trade anymore. Do we need to have you banned?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
What is your problem? The kid is in college and has a project dealing with the electrical industry that an electrician told him about. He is conducting a survey as part of that schooling, which requires information from electricians. This is a forum for the people he is trying to survey. What is so hard about that train of thought that would make you so coarse? Aren't you retired anyway?
I'm just a grumpy old bastard that likes to play by the rules.

They are there for a reason.

If you guys don't like the forum rules ask to have them changed.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Administrator
EC
22,428 Posts
I don't understand the question at the end. I get
Description
choice 1
choice 2 and
choice 3

I don't see the choices to choose from

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I really do wish the student well but have a question.
Doesn't the pencil need to be a separate piece? When using level I normally keep it on the conduit, wall or whatever and take the pencil and make my mark.

Would I need to carry another pencil in addition to the built into the tool.

I gotta start thinking outside of the box!!

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
You should lighten up, Mech.
It took me years to get to this point, I'm not changing anytime soon.

I've never claimed to be a nice guy.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
The problem with these tools is that they're usually cheap, and usually can't fulfill the other functions simpler tools serve. How would a level be straight and square to use as a straight edge while being ergonomic enough to use as a reamer and pencil?

Chances are I'll still carry another level, and will have channellocks on me anyway that I can ream with.

What if I want to mark something while leveling it? I'll need to keep a second pencil or marker anyway.

Redundant functions make the gimmicks obsolete.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,268 Posts
The problem with these tools is that they're usually cheap, and usually can't fulfill the other functions simpler tools serve. How would a level be straight and square to use as a straight edge while being ergonomic enough to use as a reamer and pencil?

Chances are I'll still carry another level, and will have channellocks on me anyway that I can ream with.

What if I want to mark something while leveling it? I'll need to keep a second pencil or marker anyway.

Redundant functions make the gimmicks obsolete.
With very few exceptions I detest multi function tools.

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
Why would a Cal state student seek to breed a bender with a swiss army knife....?

~CS~

1 - 20 of 62 Posts