Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I'm looking to get a subpanel installed in our detached garage that is ~90ft away from our mains panel. The trouble is, there is paved concrete for the most part, so we can't simply dig a trench to lay the cable in. We are thinking a 6-3 jacketed wire for a 60A subpanel.

This is the plan: Run the power line strapped to the side of the home until we get to the edge of the house, where we can attach the wire to the side of some concrete steps. Then when we get to the lawn area, dig a trench and go underground until we pop up at the garage. Here is a top view of our unit, green showing the run strapped to the side of the home, dotted green is when it is strapped to the side of the concrete steps, and finally blue is the buried section.

My question is:
  1. Can we strap 6-3 jacketed cable to the side of concrete steps? Is this to code? We live in BC.
  2. The steps don't terminate right at the grass lawn, but there is a concrete path in front of it. Now beside this concrete path is a step to another concrete path, and we plan on hiding the cable along this small step. Is this acceptable at all or should we be cutting the concrete and laying the cable in the ground here? See pictures below:

And here is a picture of the height of that small step, shoe for reference. I think its about 2.5".

The electricians we've consulted (2 different people) said its OK but I can't help but feel like the cable would either be a tripping hazard or the cable needs more protection from a poorly done lawn mowing. I'm minimally going to lobby to have the corner where the cable transitions to the grass to be rounded to let the wire dip into the grass earlier. I don't want that cable to show above the dirt even one bit. I'm wondering if I should just cut the whole path up beside the concrete steps and lay the cable in that.

Any thoughts appreciated! I know nothing about electrical work - I have a copy of the electrical code simplified but I can't see anything about routing power lines along the side of the home. Please provide some input!

Thank you in advance,

LT

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,542 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.