Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the DeWalt 20 volt lithium ion brushless, cordless drills and drivers? Are they any good, bad or ugly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My company switched all of our 18v over to the 20v and I love them. They are lighter and last way longer. We even got the 20v hammer drill and I love using it over a corded hammer drill

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Anyone using the DeWalt 20 volt lithium ion brushless, cordless drills and drivers? Are they any good, bad or ugly?
I have been wondering about them also.
They have a good feel to them..not too heavy, but I have not had a chance to try one out yet..

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard another contractor say the 20 volt lithium ion brushless cordless are well worth the investment.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I don't think they're as well made or as easy and comfortable to work with as they could be.. I just replaced my dewalt 18v hammerdrill with the Milwaukee fuel l ion, between the 2 new brushless drills it is the superior one imo. I've used the makita one also but didn't really like it enough to consider it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference in the performance other than the improved battery weight and runtime of Li-ion. They get the job done, even if they are yellow. I just wish DeWalt would make a 20v bandsaw so I only need one charger at a time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't noticed much difference in the performance other than the improved battery weight and runtime of Li-ion. They get the job done, even if they are yellow. I just wish DeWalt would make a 20v bandsaw so I only need one charger at a time.
They made one its not out yet. I use all 20v dewalts and love them been using them since they came out and havent had one problem with any of them. They feel better in my hand then the Milwaukee and are less bulky with exception to the hammerdrill although the new brushless model greatly improved that.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I still have my DeWalt 18 volt nicad. I also bought a bosch 18 volt lithium
DeWalt fully charged still is better than the bosch. but the bosch will outlast the dewalt.

I have mixed emotions on this one.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Havent tried the 20v Lith. If they are comparable in size and weight to the 18v, may be worth the step up.

·
811 Posts
I just got a set of the Makita brushless 18v tools. I got a good deal on the hammer drill/impact combo. $259 for the set. I am a Milwaukee fan but the deal was too good to pass up. Well I just burned the drill up yesterday, smoke was rolling out of it and now it won't run. Waiting until Monday to call Makita to see about warranty.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I just got a set of the Makita brushless 18v tools. I got a good deal on the hammer drill/impact combo. $259 for the set. I am a Milwaukee fan but the deal was too good to pass up. Well I just burned the drill up yesterday, smoke was rolling out of it and now it won't run. Waiting until Monday to call Makita to see about warranty.
do you still think it was too good to pass up?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I recently replaced all my cordless tools with Dewalt 20v. So far everything is outstanding,the real benefit is,the batteries are interchangeable,(7) I only need two chargers,the charges last a long time,don't need two batteries for every tool. My complaint with Dewalt is that they don't make a 20v bandsaw! I have the sawzall,performs well.

·
Electricity is Amazing!
914 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love mine. I have had mine over 2 years (20v). The hammer drills and impact drivers are the best. the recip saws are ok. Milwaukee still has the best sawzall in my opinion. If you use the DeWalt on a lot of plaster and drywall the front end with the shaft and gearbox will get contaminated and wear out faster than the Milwaukee. Our electricians use Dewalt Milwaukee and Makita. The guy that uses Makita is constantly breaking drills and recently broke a gear in his oscillating tool. Dewalt and Milwaukee are pretty much equal with Dewalt having much better ergonomics.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Been thrashing on the Makita 18v lxt set for a long time and have to admit the lifespan of the battery packs arent that great but my tools have held up. My 18v impact smells like a slot car but it hasnt died yet. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts