Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, the title. Pretty much equally invested in DeWalt and Milwaukee. Plan to stick to DeWalt 20v and Milwaukee 12v. But I hate my Milwaukee 20v hammer drill (2804-22), the chuck sucks. So looking to replace it with a DeWalt. Watching YouTube videos and trying to decide between all the current hammer drills. Bluetooth is not important at all. I do drill into masonry a good bit. Suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,163 Posts
Replace the chuck with a better one or just go SDS.

Reactions: Yankee77

·
Registered
315 Posts
Every DeWalt drill I've ever owned has developed a screwed up chuck. I have one small non-hammer drill that I was using to drive Tapcons with. The chuck frozen and the Tapcon driver has been stuck in there for four years. I decided to not get it repaired since I drive a lot of tapcons so a dedicated driver is not that bad. A lot of the other drills have crunchy sounds or get stuck opening or closing. I've replaced several chucks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Basically, the title. Pretty much equally invested in DeWalt and Milwaukee. Plan to stick to DeWalt 20v and Milwaukee 12v. But I hate my Milwaukee 20v hammer drill (2804-22), the chuck sucks. So looking to replace it with a DeWalt. Watching YouTube videos and trying to decide between all the current hammer drills. Bluetooth is not important at all. I do drill into masonry a good bit. Suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
Have you ever considered Bosh? The company I work for uses only Bosh and I haven’t heard of any of their tools failing since I started there over 6 months ago.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,213 Posts
I do drill into masonry a good bit.
That is a bit vague. If I was drilling everyday or drilling dozens of holes everyday, I would go corded anyway. Also size, if you are drilling tapcons verses 4" outlets, then that is different too.

I just purchased the 2804-20 which replaced my 2704-20, and I like them enough. Not sure what the difference between the -20 and the -22 is. I have drilled up to about 2" in brick / block with my drills. I am not a Milwaukee fan boy, but that is the system I invested in, so I stick with them.

Corded hammer drills I have a dewalt, hilti and bosch. I might even have a couple mastercraft (Canadian Tire) which all have seemed to outlast any battery drill I own.

Cheers
John

·
Petulant Amateur
Poor electrician, excellent bull chitter.
24,533 Posts
Have you ever considered Bosh? The company I work for uses only Bosh and I haven’t heard of any of their tools failing since I started there over 6 months ago.
You are a very wise man.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are drilling a lot of small holes in masonry and you are already invested in M12, why not get the M12 SDS? It seems well liked and it’s compact/light weight. It’s on my list for the next job I’m doing a lot of anchoring in masonry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts