Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I failed to score San Diego Comic-Con tickets this morning :censored: I jumped on a project my wife has been wanting me to do for some time.

When we moved in there were 2 can lights in the soffit over the front porch. There was also no lighting at all in the front door alcove, so it was very dark. It all looked rather lopsided, too, with the lights all at one end.

Today I removed the soffit entirely and installed additional can lights, then replaced the soffit. Waited till dusk to take a picture. It's not actually as bright as they appear in the photo; it turned out really nice. It's enough light to see where you're going on the porch or in the driveway, but it doesn't glare out into the street. These lights don't get used very often but this summer when we're sitting out on the porchat night it will be cool.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case you missed a previous thread of mine, these are the decorative star light things I made. They're controlled by a photocell, and usually the soffit lights are off, so 90% of the time the star lights are the only thing on out there.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
What exactly did you use for the light?

Cut in box and what lamp?

Stars seem to be real popular in the upper mid-atlantic region...

I've got some I'd like to light up...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Erics,

Nice job on the lighting. Further south in Kalfornia it is nice to have spot lights that let you see the zombies and drug dealers in front of your house. Maybe you don't have to worry up there.

I like the star.

EJPHI

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stars just have a 7 watt night light bulb behind them in a "custom" luminaire I created :laughing:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
maybe it's just me, but the star on the right looks lower than the one on the left

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1" lower and 3" closer to the garage door but centered on the siding. :whistling2: :laughing:
Yeah there used to be some standard carriage lantern style lights on the garage. Whoever installed them obviously didn't own a tape measure. I thought about relocating them properly but then I'd have a hole in the plywood siding and I didn't want to patch it.

Someday I am going to pull off all the batting strips, tar paper the house, and put proper siding on it. When that happens I will fix the light locations. But for now, just me and every electrician that sees it will notice :laughing:

The center of the star barely covers the box so I didn't have much wiggle room. Oh well :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Probably not UL but been thinking of something like this.

sailboat supplier

Operates 9-16 Volt DC Systems
Rated @ 100,000 Hours of Service Life
Requires 1.25" Hole
Shock and Vibration Proof
Cool to the Touch
No Corrosion
Rated for Underwater Use
3 LEDs
1.82" x 1.85"
LED Color: White < getting white, linked RED...

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably not UL but been thinking of something like this.

sailboat supplier

Operates 9-16 Volt DC Systems
Rated @ 100,000 Hours of Service Life
Requires 1.25" Hole
Shock and Vibration Proof
Cool to the Touch
No Corrosion
Rated for Underwater Use
3 LEDs
1.82" x 1.85"
LED Color: White < getting white, linked RED...
Hmm, very interesting! If they make a 120 volt version of that I might seriously consider putting them in there. As is, I have the stars running directly off a standard photocell and I don't want to deal with putting in a DC power supply and a relay. That would be getting pretty ridiculous for homemade decorative lights :laughing:

On Halloween I could switch the LEDs to red and rotate the stars a bit to make them inverted :whistling2:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Yeah there used to be some standard carriage lantern style lights on the garage. Whoever installed them obviously didn't own a tape measure. I thought about relocating them properly but then I'd have a hole in the plywood siding and I didn't want to patch it.

Someday I am going to pull off all the batting strips, tar paper the house, and put proper siding on it. When that happens I will fix the light locations. But for now, just me and every electrician that sees it will notice :laughing:

The center of the star barely covers the box so I didn't have much wiggle room. Oh well :thumbup:
as long as mama likes it, it's all good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts