Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you always want to be an electrician, and do you intend to retire in the trade?

Finances dictated my choices early in life, but everything turned out ok. ;)

Could have done worse I guess. :laughing:

Borgi

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I started as a young 'un (12 yrs old) working with my Dad in the trade. Wiring homes on my evenings and weekends......spending my summers with a pair of linesmans in my hands.

Electron flow is in my blood.
My Dad and three of my uncles are sparkies, now me, and my daughter and one of my sons are following me into the trade.

I did spend some time working as finish carpenter/cabinet maker while the electrical construction trade was dead in my area ......but its something that I only enjoy as a hobby and not even that is really true anymore.

The trade has been good to me and I know I will be in the trade until I retire. I love what I do.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I started in a full day four year vo-tech in high school. Math and science was electrical theory, then four hours of shop class. Got a part time job with an EC at 16. Worked that into a co-op for senior year. I am 47 now and intend to retire as an electrician at 65.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
My girl friend got me a job at an electric motor shop when I was 17 right out of high school.I'm 58 now still in the trade (no longer winding motors ,inside wireman stuff electrical contractor) I worked about 3 days as a temp out of the trade everything else electrical related.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
I was an instrument tech for 2 yrs, played electrician for 10 yrs, did E&I maintenance for another 4yrs, and back to electrical for the last 6yrs.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I fell into the trade purely by luck, stuck with it and seem to do ok with the job, I do not plan to retire.

·
Now, one of the old guys!
103 Posts
Started out doing HVAC/Electrical work in the Army. Did some ammonia refrigeration work along with electrical work for a couple years. Finally gave up the HVAC work after a couple more years. Been at this shop 30 years now as Class A Journeyman Electrician. Hopefully less than 4 to go and I'm out of here. I will say the trade has been good to me. Have not had a layoff yet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My plan in school was to be a research market analyst. I took classes geared toward that. Than did a little masonry while in high school. But electric stole my heart (and filled my wallet)

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
In high school I was either going to be a musician or a photographer. Ended up going to school for photography, then halfway through realizing I really only wanted to shoot film, and there's no money in that. Worked odd jobs for about 3 years, then decided to get a trade. It came down to plumbing or electrical, and I didn't want to deal with poo, so here I am. There's a little more to it than that, but that's the bare bones. I love it though, it occupies much of my waking (and some of my sleeping) thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts
Needed a summer job after my 2nd year at university and landed a job with a mid sized EC.
Never looked back:thumbup:, and that was 1970.
As to retiring, don't see that happening. And to be truthfully honest, I enjoy the trade, so I would still keep working. Reduced hours of course, but enough to keep active

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Grew up in an electrical business. Lots of evenings and weekends (and some school days!) helping dad. Played with a lot of electronics circuits before the end of high school. Decided I like electronics, and went for a B.Tech in EET.

After graduating in 2007 I realized all the EET jobs are in cities and I don't like cities. So I came back home and did my apprenticeship (with credit from school and previous experience!) at a local company that did a lot of industrial controls stuff (dad had sold his company already so that wasn't an option).

In 2011 I started at an engineering company doing design and build for mostly mining equipment, but also other mobile machinery and light industrial stuff.

Currently I am still there, but I will be moving shortly. So if anybody knows of any work in Newfoundland, give me a shout!

I started in electrical, I see myself retiring there, in some way or another.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I was in school just starting taking power engineering when a buddy of mine asked if I wanted to get into the trade. My first job was a Dairy Queen.. That was 22 years ago.. I took about a year and a half off to try the engineering side in the field and found that wasn't quite my cup of tea at the time, so I got back into it...

·
Super Moderator
16,343 Posts
Interviewer: What brings you to the railroad.

Me: My father in law (to be) told me to be here about a possible job.

Interviewer: Well, is there any specific job you are considering?

Me: Not really, just want to get a good job.

Interviewer: Well we have several apprenticeships available. You have no preference?

Me: What kind of apprenticeships.

Interviewer: Pipe fitter, diesel mechanics, electrician ect....

Me: I'll take electrical.

Interviewer: Why electrical?

Me: My friend just got a job as an electrical helper and it sounds like a good job.

Interviewer: Okay. Be here tomorrow for your physical.

Me: Thank you sir.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
In 1970 just after 8 at night the Boston Edison bucket truck came up my street to change the lights from these incandescent fixtures.

To 175 watt cobra head Mercury vapor lights so I watched the guy change the lights and it was dark enough so that they would turn on when he twisted on the photo eye and those lights had a slow glow warm up and you could hear them hum, so I asked my dad what those lights were and he told me about them and the city is putting them up everywhere, so when I went to highschool I joined the electrical shop and I'm still in the game today at 55 I enjoy the trade so retirement will be when I kick the bucket....:)

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
In 1970 just after 8 at night the Boston Edison bucket truck came up my street to change the lights from these incandescent fixtures.

To 175 watt cobra head Mercury vapor lights so I watched the guy change the lights and it was dark enough so that they would turn on when he twisted on the photo eye and those lights had a slow glow warm up and you could hear them hum, so I asked my dad what those lights were and he told me about them and the city is putting them up everywhere, so when I went to highschool I joined the electrical shop and I'm still in the game today at 55 I enjoy the trade so retirement will be when I kick the bucket....:)
Were they OV series , Line Material, ITT or GE?
Now that new cobra heads no longer have refractors, come in the color of lime green, are shaped like a iron or penis i know we are living in a much different world.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
I wanted to be a lineman first but then got a electrical technology degree after highschool. I have done about everything having to do with electrical in my short 12 years in the trade. I love doing troubleshooting and instrumentation.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Were they OV series , Line Material, ITT or GE?
Now that new cobra heads no longer have refractors, come in the color of lime green, are shaped like a iron or penis i know we are living in a much different world.
Those were GE, they just ripped them down for LED's:(

Some of them were like these below.

then they had these on the main streets 400 watts...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts