Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one for you code guys. I have a friend asking about wiring up his new 4000L diesel tank. The tank is outfited with the proper pump and it sits next to an outbuilding with a small sub pannel. I have been through section 18 and 20 and I can't find anything on classifying diesel fuel. Since diesel is not considered a 'flammable' liquid and it is not listed anywhere in the CEC I am having trouble classifying it for this install. Most would think it would fall under Class 1 Zone 1 but it does not emit an 'explosive gas' and once again it is not listed. Does anyone here have experience in this field and can lend some advice.

Much appriciated!

·
Electrical Contractor
5,612 Posts
The word "diesel" isn't in the book at all. So, it's not a classified area.
Still, I would run Teck to connect, or does the pump have a regular cord end on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not considered a hazardous material but, is still good practice to wire it up as if it were gas. I had a tank manufacturer give me these very instructions. Their reasoning was that I can't always be sure the tank will be used for diesel. My case is unique in that I am a on staff electrician for a construction company, so I try and plan for worse case scenario.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not considered a hazardous material but, is still good practice to wire it up as if it were gas. I had a tank manufacturer give me these very instructions. Their reasoning was that I can't always be sure the tank will be used for diesel. My case is unique in that I am a on staff electrician for a construction company, so I try and plan for worse case scenario.
That is a very good point. I did think of that but under the circumstances of its location it would be much easier to wire it up normally. I know some will say whats easier isnt always right but in this case I will have to let it slide. Ill throw on a placard stating "diesel fuel only, not intended for use with gasoline. Consult a qualified electrician...blah blah"

Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Down here on the east coast (VA, NC, SC), I've never been required to wire diesel in x-proof style (so long as it is not in a classified area caused by gasoline presence).

In PA, I've heard the Fire Marshal (at the State level) has ruled that diesel must be wired as a classified area.

The difference for the NEC is the flash point. 100F is the line. Diesel is up near 130F and most locations go with the NEC's position that a diesel pump/dispenser is a non classified area (again assuming no gas classified areas surround the diesel pump.

As far as not knowing if someone in the future is going to use gasoline in the system, if we were to wire to "what ifs" we would have a whole lot of over designed electrical services.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.