Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Customer has 6 bollards out, and 4 spot lights. I came out last week. Got part numbers ordered ballasts and lamps. But there was 2' of snow and ice encapsulating these things.
Today I get here and most of the snow is melted. The ground is frozen still. And the base of the lights had set screws holding these things, buried 3-4" in the frozen ground. So far I have 1 completely removed. Working on the others.
I'm fine with cold but hate digging in frozen ground. And its turning to muck and getting in all my tools.
So the customer will be happy with the t&m bill that's about double the time than if we did this during decent weather....
Rant over

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
the last time I played with bollard lights there was no snow but plenty of mud

I looked like I had crawled through a swamp when I was finished

·
Can't Remember
10,431 Posts
I've got a couple of poles that are going to have to wait till spring. Got lucky last month during one of those warm stretches and actually could dig the few inches that the UF was buried to repair it. Not happening now. With the rain last week and the warm weekend it has shrunk a bit.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've resorted to using my heat gun to melt the ice inside where the ballast goes. Also to defrost the frozen ground around the bases.
So far I have 2.5 lights of 6 I'm supposed to finish today....and my boss said to work faster, LOL.
I wish I could cause I totally love being covered in mud.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah, I've resorted to using my heat gun to melt the ice inside where the ballast goes. Also to defrost the frozen ground around the bases.
So far I have 2.5 lights of 6 I'm supposed to finish today....and my boss said to work faster, LOL.
I wish I could cause I totally love being covered in mud.
My boss did the same thing to me at the beginning of winter after we got a large dumping of snow. Didn't bother me I get paid by the hour even though its a quoted job. I'd tell him to shove it up his a$$ if he tried to pull the work faster line on me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts