Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer has low voltage can lights that are not working. I tested the magnetic transformer that supplies the 12 volts to the MR16 lamp. Each can light has its own transformer. The magnetic transformer is bad. It is about 15 years old. The nameplate lists it as manufactured in 1998. Electronic transformers are now plentiful at the parts warehouses and are relatively inexpensive. They are small enough to fit inside the can light junction box. I plan on replacing the magnetic transformers with electronic transformers (dimmable).

Can the dimmer switches that control these low voltage can lights be used with both magnetic and electronic transformers? Some can lights are still operational; some can lights will need the transformer replaced (with electronic). So a dimmer switch will control both types of transformers.

Thank you.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
A customer has low voltage can lights that are not working. I tested the magnetic transformer that supplies the 12 volts to the MR16 lamp. Each can light has its own transformer. The magnetic transformer is bad. It is about 15 years old. The nameplate lists it as manufactured in 1998. Electronic transformers are now plentiful at the parts warehouses and are relatively inexpensive. They are small enough to fit inside the can light junction box. I plan on replacing the magnetic transformers with electronic transformers (dimmable).

Can the dimmer switches that control these low voltage can lights be used with both magnetic and electronic transformers? Some can lights are still operational; some can lights will need the transformer replaced (with electronic). So a dimmer switch will control both types of transformers.

Thank you.
I think that will be a problem,I'll bet that there is not a combination dimmer switch rated for that.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Thank you.
Also you can call Lutron about this question , they may be able to help.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Probably best to just replace malfunctioned transformers with new magnetic transformers.

Or up sell a contract to convert all the transformers to electronic as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
decided to replace the transformers. the replacements online were over $100. I found new can lights with the type of transformer I needed for $30. Go figure. So I removed the transformers and used those. They worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.