Electrician Talk banner

Diode Bridge & Washing Soda Rust Removal

1K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  CMP 
#1 ·
I have a big job of parts rust removal. Thought I might as well gather up some selected salvage components for the job. I don't care to burn up any battery chargers.

I'm using an 875 watt 24V AC transformer.

What will these giant diode's resistance do to voltage drop in this setup.

Will there be any power left ?
Suggestions ?

See less See more
#8 ·
A "diode' with a trigger is an SCR (silicon controlled rectifier). The setup you have there isn't a "bridge", it's a circle j*rk. you can build a bridge out of what you've got, but you need heat sinks, and a different configuration. Just use one diode and a giant, or even a small capacitor for the rectifier.

#17 ·
I agree with this advice:
To the OP. Dump all of those SCRs on eBay.

Buy a 2nd hand -- cheapest possible -- battery charger.

For de-rusting, 12 VDC is over-powering. Even 6 VDC would do the trick.

Go to YouTube -- pull up mrpete222 -- aka tubalcain -- for his de-rusting technique.

Much will be answered.

I use a 12V 95A equipment battery charger, for a 275Gal tote, with enough support rails to do batches of parts. Commercial dish detergent instead of washing soda. Works good for me.

Plenty of used battery chargers out there, already built, and supplied with connection leads. I would just concern myself with the insulated tank and electrode liner, insulated parts hanging and connection method for best results.

The batch will produce hydrogen gas, from the parts, so you really want to avoid bad connections, if your going to be doing it in masse.

Your mileage may vary, dependent on knowledge of the process.

#18 ·
Phosphoric acid is good for lightly rusted parts, surface rust. But eats at all of the metal in contact, not just the rust.

Electrolytic De-rusting only converts the oxidized metal, and does not attack the base metal.

But both methods work, depending on the conditions and processing time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.