Electrician Talk banner

Dipped or Journeyman Handles

12K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  soc_monki 
#1 ·
Hi there. I am starting the process of joining the IBEW. I am slated to take the aptitude test later on next month. My question to those out there about tool handles. Everyone in my trade classes recommends to go with Klein tools which I find to be very high quality from the small number of tools I have. I was wondering if there are recommendations on the dipped handles or the journeyman handles for the different Klein pliers. Thanks y’all.

#2 ·
I am a fan of the dipped for comfort and compactness, that extra shade of bulk does take up some space in the tool pouch. I have even cut off the journeyman and put the shrink-ons on. Many do prefer the journeyman style for comfort.

#15 ·
Yep, the dipped handles or the red replacement grips.

Until recently, you could buy bare handle side cutters and put the red handles on them. The red tenite handles (grips) will last forever.

You know that you have got your money's worth out of some Kleins when the red handles are worn slick.

#22 ·
Yep, the dipped handles or the red replacement grips.

Until recently, you could buy bare handle side cutters and put the red handles on them. The red tenite handles (grips) will last forever.

You know that you have got your money's worth out of some Kleins when the red handles are worn slick.
I thought that was just me!

Reactions: MotoGP1199
#17 · (Edited)
I think you'll find most guys prefer a crimper in their line pliers. I'm probably in the minority of people that prefer the BEST crimper for each thing I'm crimping, and tend to use specialized, dedicated crimpers for things I crimp. While the crimp spot on lineman's pliers are rated to crimp an awful lot of stuff compliantly, they don't really do as nice of a job as I personally prefer. For most people, they do a "good enough" job. Since you're hardly paying extra for the crimper, I'd probably recommend you get it anyhow and decide whether its useful to you or not. Some employers will prohibit its use and favor you using dedicated crimpers. Depends on the type of work you'll get into.

I don't know anyone that actually uses a fish tape puller on their pliers. I have a pair with them and one of two things happens. I forget I have it or I decide to use it and put funny spots in the fish tape and regret it. I'll be interesting to hear some other responses on that point. The regular gripping jaws of the plain pliers do a good enough job helping pull a fish tape, for me. If it's tighter than that, probably something's wrong anyhow.

I guess my personal response is that a plain ordinary pair of 9's suits me fine.

Reactions: Bird dog and bill39
#18 ·
Dipped handles or the Klein replacement handles. I do have a couple of Journeymen handles and they are too big and take up too much space. Also I feel the dipped handles stay on the tool better. Funny thing, I find most EC's and Journeymen use dipped handles and apprentices tend to buy the fancy looking "Journeyman" handles, lol. I have cut off a few of the Journeymen handles and replaced with the red Klein replacement handles. Tip, when using the Klein replacement handles dip them in boiling water first and they will slip right on. I too prefer using a crimper for crimping and not the lineman pliers.

#26 ·
Steel is much harder. Used to be lucky to get a year out of a pair of klein *****. My knipex cutters are still as sharp as the day I bought them. Klein reps at the trade shows swear they haven't changed the steel and are just as strong as they always were. My 30 year old linesmans and pile of chipped and dulled cutters beg to differ.

#27 ·
dipped handles, jman series grip fell off on mine too. and when the grip falls off or wears out they work great without them to be honest, i don't replace my handles i use them bare (on anything including channel-locks). i do wear gloves though and i don't cut energized wires with bare tools

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.