Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Canadian's know if there is a rule in the CEC 2012 for the spacing of Gas lines & power lines in the same trench??

I can't find anything specific. The Gas company POCO says they usually only space them 12". Seems close. My AHJ is outta town for the week.

Can anyone confirm this??

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
300 mm horizontal
Thanks, but can you tell me where you found this?? Is it in the CEC or another CSA standard??

I did get in touch with another AHJ from another area & he said the spacing had to be min 300mm, but in separate trenches. He said it was from another CSA standard, but he was away from his office & couldn't remember which one.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Canada is a big place.

Standata in Alberta handles this. 6-300

Electrical Conductors and Gas Services in the Same Trench
The Electrical Code does not establish specific requirements for installing Electrical Conductors in the same trench as gas-lines. Gas services installed by gas utilities are subject to requirements administered by Alberta Infrastructure. If you wish to install electrical conductors in the same trench as a gas service, consult the local gas utility for advice.

Gas sub-service lines (i.e., house to garage) are an owner responsibility and when electrical conductors are installed in the same trench, it is recommended that the two systems be separated by 300mm of well tamped earth or a 50mm treated plank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.