Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here...

I just had recessed lights installed in my condo. I went with Phillips EnduraLEDs, 12V, 10W lights. I'm using canisters with remote transformers, and dimmers. I had installed about 20 canisters, so it's quite a bit of lighting to install.

I have to say I'm disappointed with the results. There's a lot of flicker when the dimmers are on low. It certainly cannot dim smoothly to zero, the way an incandescent bulb can. Even on full power (which is quite bright) I can see changes in the light when the building's elevator starts.

This is all in all ridiculous. This shouldn't happen.

I have a stereo system, and its volume does not go up or down when the elevator starts. Its volume can go down smoothly to zero. There's no reason why an LED shouldn't be able to do the same.

Please prepare for a rant here...

The reason why the stereo can "dim" smoothly, and does not have static or reactions to line voltage changes, is that the volume control is an input to the amplifier. If you tried to build a stereo that would adjust its volume by changing the input line voltage, you would have all the same problems that my LEDs are having.

The whole LED system is designed badly. There's a transformer box which puts out 12v AC. Then each individual LED "bulb" contains its own transformer and rectifier to convert that to DC at whatever voltage the LEDs require. Meanwhile the input to the whole system is regulated by using a dimmer to vary the input voltage to the transformer. Of course this system isn't going to work!

I tried and tried to get my electrical company to find an LED bulb that's "dumb", ie, doesn't have any built-in electronics (no transformer / rectifier) and then use a remote transformer that supplies a correct regulated power supply for that. It appears that no one makes residential LEDs that aren't packaged with a lot of electronics so there's no way to get one that doesn't include its own transformer and rectifier.

The way the system should work is: line current goes in to the transformer. The transformer converts this to DC at whatever voltage LEDs need. The LEDs are dumb (no in-bulb rectifiers). The dimmer does not regulate the line voltage in to the transformer. Instead the dimmer is control input just like a volume knob on a stereo, and the transformer acts like a stereo amplifier: take noisy line current, a somewhat noisy volume control, and produce a smoothly adjustable output signal. Given that stereos that cost under $30 can do this easily, I don't see why it's so hard to do residential lighting this way. You would have smooth, absolutely no-flicker lighting, dimable over a full range. It would cost less because you would not need electronics in the bulbs. They would be dumb LEDs. You would need one extra wire from the transformer to the dimmer. I tried and tried to explain this but couldn't find any source of something like this.

Any thoughts on this? And what can I do now about my flickery light?

It's pretty sad that we need to use incandescent bulbs (which take about 10x as much power) only because no one has had the idea of thinking of a transformer the way we think of an amplifier.

· felonious smile.
15,896 Posts
Wear Sun glasses inside.

· animal lover /rat bastard
13,504 Posts
your profile says you aren't an electrician. did you read the intro ?

· Registered
767 Posts
Heck..... If I'd known it was that easy, I'd quit wasting money on what it takes to provide a good lighting system... After all, you get what you pay for!
:blink: :lol:

· Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,733 Posts
I'm not an electrician. I looked for forum rules but didn't find anything about not posting here. If I shouldn't have, my apologies.
It is made VERY clear on the sign up page:

ElectricianTalk.com is for electrical professionals only! DIY homeowners should register at: DIY Chatroom
Please Enter your electrical related field/trade in the text box below.
Please go to www.diychatroom.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.