Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A combination inspector left a correction notice for a new home final inspection that included not allowing the furnace switch and receptacle outlet box to be mounted on the side of the furnace. There are no removable covers where it is mounted, and I can't seem to find anything in the code that would not allow this. I am assuming it would be in another code other than the NEC. Anybody heard this one before?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The majority of the switches Ive seen were mounted on the side of the furnace.

I take it he didn't cite an NEC article?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No code article cited.

I see them mounted that way all the time as well. Wasn't my installation, but wanted to know where the justification came from for my own personal knowledge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woops, just notice I posted in the commercial section...I will relocate this to the residential forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My furnace has the disconnect on the wall next to my furnace, but the contact that is controlled by the T-stat wire is mounted on the side. So I think its more inspector than code since the NEC is minimal and local can override.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Around here the disconnect needs to be on the entry/exit door side of a furnace, or else on the outside of the room. Believe the requirement comes from building code.

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,245 Posts
Around here the disconnect needs to be on the entry/exit door side of a furnace, or else on the outside of the room. Believe the requirement comes from building code.
Nope, comes from CEC. And can't be on the furnace.

26-806 Heating equipment rated 117kW and less

(6) The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be a branch circuit breaker at the distribution panelboard, provided that the panelboard is located between the furnace and the point of entry to the area where the furnace is located.

(7) Where a separate switch is required due to the unsuitable location of the branch circuit breaker, it shall
(a) not be located on the furnace nor in a location that can be reached only by passing close to the furnace; and
(b) be marked to indicate the equipment it controls.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I do ten or fifteen furnaces a week. I run EMT into the joist space and put an Arlington bushing on it. I strap it to the furnace with a snap in minni and a 1 hole strap in the joist. Then I mount a 4sq on the side of the furnace with a raised cover and run a 3/8 flex down and into the furnace with a 90 degree connector.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
sbrn33 said:
The OP is from Colorado.
Yea the canadidumbs have infiltrated so much they have taken over all the sections

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
FrunkSlammer said:
Well we aren't in canaduhhhh so stfu

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,245 Posts
I know the OP isn't from Canada, my response was more for FrunkSlammer, I thought he is in "Canaduhhh" (as robnj772 says!)

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,080 Posts
I can't seem to find anything in the code that would not allow this. I am assuming it would be in another code other than the NEC. Anybody heard this one before?
You will find that there are some items in the Gas code and Building code which pertain to electrical.
Eventually those requirements end up in the NEC or CEC

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I do ten or fifteen furnaces a week. I run EMT into the joist space and put an Arlington bushing on it. I strap it to the furnace with a snap in minni and a 1 hole strap in the joist. Then I mount a 4sq on the side of the furnace with a raised cover and run a 3/8 flex down and into the furnace with a 90 degree connector.
We do it all the time. Good idea to put a recept in too for the condensate pump.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.