Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In jurisdictions requiring a switch at a hard-wired dishwasher, do any of them accept the switch in the sink base cabinet rather than up on the wall?

·
Registered
108 Posts
All the inspectors in my area accept a switch in the sink base cabinet, what I do is install a single outlet in the sink base and install an appliance cord if the D.W dident come with one.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Here in Charlotte, NC I put the switch in the base cabinet with the sink in every house. As said above, you can also have it cord and plug.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have always used breaker lock's, there cheap and you don't have a switch that most home owner's don't have a clue what it goes to.

I hope i haven't stepped over my "apprentice" line here.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I have always used breaker lock's, there cheap and you don't have a switch that most home owner's don't have a clue what it goes to.

I hope i haven't stepped over my "apprentice" line here.

Explain how a breaker lock would constitute a disconnect for an under the counter dishwasher. I have always gone for a cord and single recepticle, same for garbage disposals and instant hots.

·
Registered
131 Posts
422.31 (b) 2005 nec
Maybe 08' has changed the code, but it says the circuit breaker can serve as the disconnecting means if it is within sight, if not within sight a lock is permitted.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I use breaker locks on all electric hot water heaters I wire up. Sure as crap beats putting up a disconnect. I've never thought about it, but I suppose that would be ok for a dishwasher too.... I don't like it though, I'd still use a switch or receptacle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
interesting. In the the few months I've been doing resi, When I've wired the dishwasher on the finish or have seen/ran the circuit on the rough-in, it's always been ran straight to the panel.... never a switch, only on the disposal. I haven't seen a breaker lock employed.

Maybe baltimore inspectors don't enforce that part of the code.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some jurisdictions don't enforce the dishwasher disconnect. Locally, two counties that share a county line --- one does, one doesn't. I never saw the point in residential since nobody is going to wander in and turn on a breaker while some repair person is working on the dishwasher.

I think plug connected dishwashers don't have to have a disconnect and garbage disposals usually are on switches anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some inspectors won't allow it to be plugged in with an appliance cord but it's uncommon. A switch under the sink on the other hand is always accepted. I prefer the plug myself.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Baltimore, for an AC unit you can also run UF unprotected from the disconnect to the unit. Why that's ok to do there I'll never know.
In my travels I've seen unprotected UF from the disconnect to the unit. but it isn't allowed around here. I use flex and UF (or THW) from the unit to the disconnect.

I think I'll see if this jurisdiction allows an under sink switch for the DW.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
In Baltimore, for an AC unit you can also run UF unprotected from the disconnect to the unit. Why that's ok to do there I'll never know.
Why there is a problem with this anywhere else, I'll never know. :whistling2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Why there is a problem with this anywhere else, I'll never know. :whistling2:
because it's not protected. and looks like :censored: anyway. just because it's allowed does not mean u should do it. If someone said jump off a bridge would you do it? :yes: Then use UF. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts