Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the new codes we are now required to have the dishwasher on a gfi circuit and have a disconnect even if it is plugged in with a cord. What are some of the setups you have used since we have always just hardwired or plugged in.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've slapped a switch into the 1900 box I used beside the outlet I used for the disposal air switch under cabinets. MWBC one for dishwasher and one for disposal.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
sparky402 said:
With the new codes we are now required to have the dishwasher on a gfi circuit and have a disconnect even if it is plugged in with a cord. What are some of the setups you have used since we have always just hardwired or plugged in.
1) Single pole switch in mulberry cover under sink
2) Single pole switch on countertop (lots of callbacks to turn switches on for homeowners)
3) (my fave) Cord and plug after inspector does final... Just sayin

·
332 Posts
sparky402 said:
Am I understanding you (and a few others on this post) to say that a cord and plug on a dishwasher does not count as a disconnecting means? Is the receptacle located behind the dishwasher, and not under the sink?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T&K said:
Am I understanding you (and a few others on this post) to say that a cord and plug on a dishwasher does not count as a disconnecting means? Is the receptacle located behind the dishwasher, and not under the sink?
I thought a cord was sufficient however i have been told by our inspectors that the receptacle still need to have a disconnect. I guess i dont understand i thought it was to make sure power was off for servicing.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
When working on a dishwasher, under the sink, why would a cord...to unplug, not be safe enough? And why would you need a GFCI?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
For ten years at least I just put a two gang box under the sink. One side goes a single pole switch to disconnect the dishwasher right next cab over. NOW if this was MIKEHOLT.COM somebody would say that it is not a direct line of sight form the switch to the dishwasher since there is a dividing wall in the cab. Me of course I say no, you are not inside the cabinets you are in front of them and you can clearly see the dishwasher and the switch controlling it in front of you under the sink at the same time. The other side of the two gang box gets a switched receptacle for the disposal.

Reactions: TLinSTL

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
GFI's have to be readily accessible for monthly testing purposes and some inspectors are considering in the sink cabinet accessible, not readily accessible.

If I were to do this to the '14, it would be:

AFCI breaker--->Dead front GFI either next to the panel or on the counter top--->Single pole switch--->hardwire the dishwasher.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
I do not own the the '14, could someone tell me if AFCI receptacles are required to be "readily accessible"?
They are.

The op and his inspectors are misinformed. Cord and plug is acceptable for disconnect.

For kitchen remodels I've been replacing or adding panels. I use homeline for their dual function AFCI/GFCI breakers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.