Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few jobs back a guy had a setting tool for lead expansion anchors for use in hollow walls that he made himself. I should have gotten a better look at, I was trying to figure out how he put it together. Has anyone here made one?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,180 Posts
I use mine all the time even in solid concrete, it was a good investment..

·
13,020 Posts
If you're talking about these things:

I got an old 6" long socket wrench extension and sawed off almost all of the socket so all that's left is a bit of a dimple. Beats them in there great.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
If you're talking about these things:

I got an old 6" long socket wrench extension and sawed off almost all of the socket so all that's left is a bit of a dimple. Beats them in there great.
We are trying to get those banned in Canada... which is a good thing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
We are trying to get those banned in Canada... which is a good thing.:thumbup:
Oh but they hold better than anything else ever made. They have the best vertical shear strength and nothing else can hold a candle to these awesome anchors.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I had to re-locate a control cabinet that the elevator guys had put up in a CACF room and they had used 8 zamacs to hold it up...man was I cursing them. Grinder wouldn't fit in there. They work great, but try getting them out again lol.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cdnelectrician said:
I had to re-locate a control cabinet that the elevator guys had put up in a CACF room and they had used 8 zamacs to hold it up...man was I cursing them. Grinder wouldn't fit in there. They work great, but try getting them out again lol.
Pull the center nail out with a cats paw, then the whole thing with the nail puller. That's if you have room for said nail puller, otherwise, just blow it up.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
I've hit them with a 1/4" metal drill bit. Destroys the damn anchor in the road and they come out like a rivet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
A few jobs back a guy had a setting tool for lead expansion anchors for use in hollow walls that he made himself. I should have gotten a better look at, I was trying to figure out how he put it together. Has anyone here made one?
I've never seen a diy set tool, but I'd like to. I have the Greenlee 3/8" tool, I'd also like a 1/4" but don't want to pay $65 for one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts