Electrician Talk banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did I miss something or was the grounded couductor not insulated?

Wow this should be a video to show greenies what not to do. Or even better make them watch it and have them figure out what is wrong, you know kinda like a pre test.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Also kinda funny how he keeps mentioning copper to al splices but doesn't use the proper wire nuts in his "sub panel"

·
Registered
10 Posts
My public service for the month of February;

The problem here Mr. Ozburn is a classic case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Yes your service "upgrade" may appear to have been a success but in reality you have created what may well prove to be a ticking time bomb. The serious violations are numerous, the consequences may well be property damage, serous personal injury or even death. You don't have to take the word of the many professional electricians that have taken the time to comment.Go to any home inspectors forum and read just the first page of threads. I would be willing to bet that the problems with your project will be the topic in at least half of them. Since you obviously have a distain for "real" electricians do yourself and anybody else that may ever spend time in that house a favor and use some of the money that you saved to get an unbiased opinion of your handy work. I would imagine that a home inspector would only charge you a couple of hundred dollars, hell a "real" electrician would cost about the same.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I really have trouble watching vids like this, it's kinda like watching a circumcision with a chain saw....:eek:glad you lot manned up and commented back....:thumbsup:~CS~:thumbsup:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sad thing is it will probably work for years to come , so this idiot will think he is God . BTW I didn't know the glass came off the meter that easy LOL.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
:laughing::laughing:just watched the first half and had to quit! my sides are hurtin!
maybe ill watch the rest later:laughing:

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
No one has mentioned:

Old panel is a junction box, not a subpanel like the idiot kept calling it.

"Sometimes if the breaker keeps tripping you can just change it to a 20A, it's just 5 more amps, that can't hurt. The wire is heavy enough to handle that. I wouldn't go any higher than 20 though.":laughing:

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
No one has mentioned:

"Sometimes if the breaker keeps tripping you can just change it to a 20A, it's just 5 more amps, that can't hurt. The wire is heavy enough to handle that. I wouldn't go any higher than 20 though.":laughing:

I hate to say it but he is probably correct :no:

·
Registered
44 Posts
No one has mentioned:

"Sometimes if the breaker keeps tripping you can just change it to a 20A, it's just 5 more amps, that can't hurt. The wire is heavy enough to handle that. I wouldn't go any higher than 20 though."
I was dying right there!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No one has mentioned:

I hate to say it but he is probably correct :no:
Yes, regarding the panel as a junction box. I actually thought that was what he was going to do. Take the few circuits that were long enough and put them in the new panel. Then feed the old panel like a sub, from the new one.

As meadow mentioned, the guy got that right, but by accident. He didn't actually know that 14/2 can handle 20 amps, he was just being ignorant. ;)

Borgi

61 - 80 of 97 Posts