Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Journeyman electrician, now working as maintenance electrician for a school district
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a guy had be hook up his power that he had ran from his house to his barn where he is going to be doing some machining. I ran a 10 ft ground bar at the barn because the machine he bought suggest doing so but is it required buy the NEC?

·
Registered
Journeyman electrician, now working as maintenance electrician for a school district
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
GROUND ROD, NOT GROUND BAR. My bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when I did main panel replacements I only had to drive one rod, why would I have to drive two into a separate structure?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Because it is a separate structure so it needs its own grounding electrodes, the only exception is if it is a separate structure fed by a single branch circuit (like a shed with an outlet and a light or something)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I get that, but why would it need two grounding electrodes?

·
Registered
969 Posts
250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes.
A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types specified by 250.52(A)(4) through (A)(8). Where multiple rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m (6 ft) apart.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Also, if the barn houses livestock you will want to bond all steel parts of the building including watering and feed troughs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No live stock but yeah that makes sense to just dive two rods rather than buying equipment to document that i have those 25ohms

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,007 Posts
Some jurisdictions either don't know or don't care about NEC 250.56 . Like most of Indiana .
Same here... I have not had an inspector check for the second GR in I don’t know how long. And sadly, I have had a few instances where the builder back- filled over both GR‘s and the inspector didn’t even ask about it. Don’t you love government workers?

·
electrorick
295 Posts
So a guy had be hook up his power that he had ran from his house to his barn where he is going to be doing some machining. I ran a 10 ft ground bar at the barn because the machine he bought suggest doing so but is it required buy the NEC?
why does that not list as a sub panel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts