Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like I'm almost being scammed. I was introduced to this apprenticeship opportunity by my girlfriend through her father, and it all seems pretty self explanatory. I'm just getting finished with STEM MAT 195 in college, and they are both telling me there's no use even trying if I don't take this course. I feel overwhelmed because no matter how many times I say I don't need this course, it's like I'm giving up on life if I don't give some guy 300 bucks for 4 courses to validate my experience in elementary algebra. Anyone who's taken this course able to tell me what topics it goes into?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
This seems like I'm almost being scammed. I was introduced to this apprenticeship opportunity by my girlfriend through her father, and it all seems pretty self explanatory. I'm just getting finished with STEM MAT 195 in college, and they are both telling me there's no use even trying if I don't take this course. I feel overwhelmed because no matter how many times I say I don't need this course, it's like I'm giving up on life if I don't give some guy 300 bucks for 4 courses to validate my experience in elementary algebra. Anyone who's taken this course able to tell me what topics it goes into?
Hello Nick Welcome aboard...:thumbsup:

What is this for to join the union?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of I believe. I recently applied to IBEW Local 103 for an apprenticeship in the electrical field. The website had what they said was an aptitude test "sample test" and it was all just elementary algebra you'd learn in high school. I was just wondering if it's any more or less difficult than that, as I'm currently taking a mathematics course that may or may not be more advanced than the prep course.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Sort of I believe. I recently applied to IBEW Local 103 for an apprenticeship in the electrical field. The website had what they said was an aptitude test "sample test" and it was all just elementary algebra you'd learn in high school. I was just wondering if it's any more or less difficult than that, as I'm currently taking a mathematics course that may or may not be more advanced than the prep course.
If you're taking math in college you should do fine.

The test should be basic algebra,nothing harder than what you already know now.

So is the prep course based on the test you will be taking at the local 103?

Do you have a link to the prep course ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The prep course seems as though it has no website or even an area where I can reference it on the internet. I've been doing some serious Google Fu on the subject and it seems as though the test is pretty basic. I can tell you that the test is the "Aptitude Test S7-72R77"

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
The prep course seems as though it has no website or even an area where I can reference it on the internet. I've been doing some serious Google Fu on the subject and it seems as though the test is pretty basic. I can tell you that the test is the "Aptitude Test S7-72R77"
What is the name of the school that is giving the prep course.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bunker Hill Community College, I believe whoever is administrating this class just rented a classroom for four classes there or something.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Bunker Hill Community College, I believe whoever is administrating this class just rented a classroom for four classes there or something.
I say that if you know your algebra you should be fine without the course .

But if the course has other stuff about the test then I would probably take it.

Also you could go here and practice algebra. http://algebrahelp.com

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
A course to prep you to take an aptitude test? My scamometer is redlining on this one. Electrical work is not rocket science. There are IBEW practice tests online you can take. If your girlfriend's father is a union member in good standing and wants you in, you don't even have to be able to spell your name

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
A course to prep you to take an aptitude test? My scamometer is redlining on this one. Electrical work is not rocket science. There are IBEW practice tests online you can take. If your girlfriend's father is a union member in good standing and wants you in, you don't even have to be able to spell your name
Let's try to project a more professional opinion of our trade...:laughing:

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
That rocket science thing.... lol I used that exact quote today. Got an irritated coworker over it. lmao

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
What's so hard about algebra??? Don't you know; A x B = C :laughing::laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts