Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tyco inline splice kit has me wondering how many of you bury a splice that's not accessible? I will splice a box next to a can if need be and other little tricks but don't have the conscience to bury a splice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Senile Member
30,687 Posts
I did some buried splices as a repair on a temp pole that got whacked by an excavator few months back. Only these weren't Tyco, they were Mike o. In line splices from Home Depot covered with the usual 33 tape, rubber tape, and a plastic bag taped around individual , and then the whole thing. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and then the whole thing encased in around 3 bags of quickcrete and backfilled from 24" depth , under my watch. Heco had already been scheduled to heat up the permanent power but I don't like taking chances. It rains here , not uncommon to get ten to twenty inches in a few hours. Didn't want electric puddles.

It's all history now.

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
I will have customers beg for me to bury a splice instead of drywall damage or a junction box, preferably flush with a cabinet. Won't do it.

That's because you're a real electrician who takes pride in his work. Not a hack like some people we know. :vs_cool:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's because you're a real electrician who takes pride in his work. Not a hack like some people we know. :vs_cool:
He's from I believe the Boston area. Those guys have always been cheaters... from Belicheck back to the Boston tea party (tax cheaters! )

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Anytime I feel like it, without a second thought. My buried splices are as good as the uncut cable.

Anyone who rips apart their customer’s home to avoid having an accessibility issue, when that is not what the code it is supposed to be about, is providing a great disservice to their customer.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anytime I feel like it, without a second thought. My buried splices are as good as the uncut cable.

Anyone who rips apart their customer’s home to avoid having an accessibility issue, when that is not what the code it is supposed to be about, is providing a great disservice to their customer.
It's not that easy. You may make a bullet proof splice and I figure that's in your best interest. For me trouble shooting, I need to know where all splices are. It's hard enough when I have to move furniture etc to get to a known splice. Having to deal with splices that are buried is ruining this trade.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
It's not that easy. You may make a bullet proof splice and I figure that's in your best interest. For me trouble shooting, I need to know where all splices are. It's hard enough when I have to move furniture etc to get to a known splice. Having to deal with splices that are buried is ruining this trade.
I am not talking about flying splices that a handyman made up with taped on wirenuts. I’m talking about excellent splices that will never come undone.

In the end, it’s no worse than a staple that was hammered in too hard which happens all too often.

The homeowner gets to make the choice. The national electrical code is not a troubleshooting manual.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I'm talking about underground splices only. I will not make splices in a home or building without a junction box, period!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts

No, allowing your customers to steamroll proper trade practice because of aesthetics is a disservice. To them, to the installation, and to the trade.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
No, allowing your customers to steamroll proper trade practice because of aesthetics is a disservice. To them, to the installation, and to the trade.
Your opinion of “proper trade practices” is inconsequential to my customer. To everyone, actually.

If the government in a certain area allowed boxed splices to be inaccessible and covered over, then all of a sudden it would be OK? :vs_laugh:

1 - 20 of 196 Posts